Star Wars: The Acolyte starts June 4

Also, gandslf had no issue killing orcs. He fought plenty, and certainly encouraged others to fight and kill their enemies. He didn't at all believe that speech applied to everyone and every situation.

Gandalf is not human, so we can't apply human morals to him, not even the Middle-Earth version of human morals, which generally do call for the extinction of orcs, before the orcs can kill all the good races.

Zardnaar

Legend
Gandalf is not human, so we can't apply human morals to him, not even the Middle-Earth version of human morals, which generally do call for the extinction of orcs, before the orcs can kill all the good races.

That and the force is different.

Dark side feeds off negative emotions amplifying and twisting them.

ME not so much.

Reynard

Legend
I wonder, has the EU every looked into "positive emotions" and the Force? The Dark Side obviosuly feeds on Anger and Hate, and the Jedi (and thus, one assumes, the Light Side) focus on a lack of emotion and attachment. is there a canon Star Wars Force tradition that embraces love, compassion, friendship, etc...?

pukunui

Legend
There's a Star Wars Databank article up now with links to various Acolyte character bios: The Acolyte Characters Revealed — First Look

The eponymous acolyte is Mae, who may be the former padawan of Jedi Master Sol (the Squid Game guy).

Carrie-Anne Moss plays a Jedi Master named Indara.

The wookiee Jedi is Kelnacca, who is a hermit.

Vernestra Rwoh is a Mirialan Jedi Master who has previously featured in other High Republic content. She has a purple-bladed lightsaber that can apparently turn into a light whip. I wonder if we'll see that happen on the show. She has previously battled the Nihil, who get a mention in Jedi: Survivor and feature heavily as antagonists in other High Republic content. I don't know if they will show up in The Acolyte, however.

Then there's Jedi Knight Yord, Sol's new padawan Jecki, a smuggler named Qimir, and a coven of witches led by Mother Aniseya. They don't look like Dathomiri witches, so they must be a new Force wielding group who seem to favor neutrality / a balance between light and dark.

pukunui

Legend
I wonder, has the EU every looked into "positive emotions" and the Force? The Dark Side obviosuly feeds on Anger and Hate, and the Jedi (and thus, one assumes, the Light Side) focus on a lack of emotion and attachment. is there a canon Star Wars Force tradition that embraces love, compassion, friendship, etc...?
I'm not super up on the old EU, but I'm pretty sure the New Jedi Order established by Luke Skywalker was all about the positive emotions. His new order allowed Jedi to fall in love, get married, and have children, for instance, like he did with Mara Jade.

MarkB

Legend
That's pretty much all the Jedi that were raised during the Rebellion era. Characters like Kanan and Ezra learn to embrace their positive emotions and draw strength from them, rejecting the flawed tenets of the Jedi Order. There's even some of that for Ahsoka in her show.

pukunui

Legend
That's pretty much all the Jedi that were raised during the Rebellion era. Characters like Kanan and Ezra learn to embrace their positive emotions and draw strength from them, rejecting the flawed tenets of the Jedi Order. There's even some of that for Ahsoka in her show.
Yeah, it's a pity the canon Luke doesn't get to do that really. It seems like the positive emotion-based New Jedi Order will be Rey's doing now.

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, it's a pity the canon Luke doesn't get to do that really. It seems like the positive emotion-based New Jedi Order will be Rey's doing now.
I feel like he lived it, but he didn't internalise it. His compassion was his strength in RotJ, he just didn't manage to let go of the Jedi Order's dogma until after his failure with Ben Solo, and then he was too embittered to have much of any positivity until he met Rey.

Zardnaar

Legend

There's sod all canon force traditions that weren't part of the old EU eg Dathomir witches. They haven't really created many.

In the old EU Luke's NJO allowed love and marriage and other force traditions something similar.

Can't think of any that actively tapped positive emotions as such as part of their dogma.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Batman should kill the Joker. Superman should kill Lex Luthor. Obi Wan should kill Anakin.

These are heroes not murderers. Not murdering is never “stupid”.

There are plenty of killers on screen if that’s what you want. Almost every action movie ever made. Let us have a few heroes.

Remove ads