Star Wars: The Acolyte starts June 4

Reynard

Legend
Indeed. You cannot kill him without fear, anger and hatred. Thus fuelling the dark side.

You don't care about random dues, you can kill them without feeling anything.
Right. The Jedi aren't pacifists. They aren't even "good." They are explicitly warriors whose job it is to uphold the status quo. They opposed the tyranny of the Dark Side because it breaks order. Anakin/Vader's obsession with order illustrates this perfectly. He WANTS to be a good Jedi and that means bringing about Order even though he a broken monster with immense power.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Right. The Jedi aren't pacifists. They aren't even "good." They are explicitly warriors whose job it is to uphold the status quo. They opposed the tyranny of the Dark Side because it breaks order. Anakin/Vader's obsession with order illustrates this perfectly. He WANTS to be a good Jedi and that means bringing about Order even though he a broken monster with immense power.
Yeah, they're definitely Lawful Neutral as an order. The ones we like -- Qui-Gonn, Obi-Wan, Luke, Rey -- have all been Neutral Good, though, which is why they had friction with the order generally.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Indeed. You cannot kill him without fear, anger and hatred. Thus fuelling the dark side.

You don't care about random dues, you can kill them without feeling anything.
Obi Wan showed none of those emotions....just pity. He should have killed him at least twice. Imagine how many less people die w/o Vader. I can't believe this is even a debate. But, we are way off topic now....

Zardnaar

Legend
Obi Wan showed none of those emotions....just pity. He should have killed him at least twice. Imagine how many less people die w/o Vader. I can't believe this is even a debate. But, we are way off topic now....

But then he might fall to the dark side and do sane things Vader did.

He's also not perfect killing his friend Anakin.

Redemption arc, noble/tragic hero, power of love etc. Hits the classic tropes.

pukunui

Legend
I've always thought the Obi-Wan called on the dark side when he cut Darth Maul in half. He certainly looked angry enough, having just witnessed the death of his master while helplessly trapped on the other side of a laser wall. (And he somehow gets away with it with nary a comment from Yoda, who only senses "Qui-Gonn's defiance" in Obi-Wan when he knights him.)

That being said, I think even by the time of the Obi-Wan show, his love for Anakin as a brother is still too strong for him to willfully kill him. Plus the coup de grace is not the Jedi way. Anakin even says so himself before Palpatine Forces him to behead Dooku.

Last edited:

I've always thought the Obi-Wan called on the dark side when he cut Darth Maul in half. He certainly looked angry enough, having just witnessed the death of his master while helplessly trapped on the other side of a laser wall.

That being said, I think even by the time of the Obi-Wan show, his love for Anakin as a brother is still too strong for him to willfully kill him. Plus the coup de grace is not the Jedi way. Anakin even says so himself before Palpatine Forces him to behead Dooku.
There is also the “chosen one” prophesy. Obi Wan isn’t convinced it’s true, but he isn’t sure it’s false either.

Reynard

Legend
That's the problem with the Dark Side: it wins whenever you use any emotion to make a choice. Even love turns evil when it is employed. Only serenity can lead to Good, in the Jedi philosophy.

Remove ads