• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set: Except 7

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
... and, apparently, also expect that GMs will always have both the ability and time to Google said picture in the middle of running an adventure, should they happen to grabbing a monster like this to be used.

Why is the DM grabbing a monster mid-adventure when they don't know what it is? I do not see this as a genuine concern.

stinkomandx

First Post
... and, apparently, also expect that GMs will always have both the ability and time to Google said picture in the middle of running an adventure, should they happen to grabbing a monster like this to be used.

Also, again--description is probably elsewhere in the book, images had to be cut for space (as someone with experience in book publishing, you can't easily just add one more page), and this isn't the monster manual. So much hyper-pessimistic speculation...

the Jester

Legend
While it is a personal preference, emphasizing the modifier over the raw value has clear utility. It makes it easier for newbies to get into the game, and when you're in the middle of running a game and need to make a Dex check for the monster, your eye is drawn to the number you need. I have trouble imagining any scenario in-game where you would need to know the monster's raw Dex score.

I think there is kind of a right - the actual value you'll be using is the + or - one. The number is going to be used far less often (almost never). So not emphasizing it (despite them doing so on the character sheets!) is a bit silly.

Plus, as Dausuul says, it helps newbies. I have seen, many times, less able or newer players confused by stuff like "add your ability score modifier", especially if shorthanded to something like "plus your STR", and thinking they use the "big number". So the bit that actually matters should be emphasized. Pretty sure it's just grognard-pandering to go the other way.

The classic example of when "raw score matters" is an arm wrestling match. It has been spelled out in at least two editions, IIRC, that this is an example of when "high score wins".

Granted, the modifier matters a lot more, but is it really so hard for a new player to pick up on that? I think the argument that this makes a significant difference to new gamers sells those same new gamers pretty darn short. Yes, there might be occasional confusion, but that is likely to happen no matter what the sheet looks like and no matter how information is presented.

As for grognard-pandering... the entire ruleset panders to grognards of one type or another.

Why is the DM grabbing a monster mid-adventure when they don't know what it is? I do not see this as a genuine concern.

Lots lots lots LOTS of DMs run some parts of sessions, or sometimes entire sessions or even campaigns, off the cuff. It's a well-established and traditional style of dming that 5e ought to support, along with all the other well-established dm style traditions.

fba827

Adventurer
A random observation, not meant as good or bad, just interesting to me...

As per the previewed character sheets, the designers did settle on a defined skill list ( rather than open ended ability scores that may get bonuses if you have some associated skill), but the attacks for the nothin refer to "ability score (skill) " ( see keen site or it's weird insight abilities) while elsewhere such as monster skill list it's just "skill" . And since there is a defined skill list perhaps ability score mention isn't as necessary?

I wonder if there is a specific reason for this or just a choice made by the person who was designing that monster and it got carried through.

stinkomandx

First Post
5e also calculates Jump distance based on Strength score, so it's not entirely unnecessary.

BUT I can vouch that the modifier/raw score thing is weirdly VERY difficult for new players to wrap their heads around. We host a "DnD for Newbies" at my house every few months, and get about 10-15 new players every time. It's been proven again and again that it's among the hardest things to grasp, and we've finally started leaving raw scores off sheets entirely (since it's for a one-off, it is not missed). Even my newest player at my permanent table, after playing for a few months, will occasionally mix it up. And they're smart folks. It's very non-intuitive.

I love raw scores' continued existence, but de-emphasizing the raw scores while keeping them around is definitely a net-good for new players, and largely net-neutral ​for experts.

aarduini

Explorer
My two cents

I do not like the fact that large humanoids on average are only getting a five foot reach. If I charge a 10 foot ogre, he will get a chance to hit me before I'm within reach. (Yes I'm aware that in 5e this wouldn't provoke according to the playtest)

If there is a monster in a STARTER set. It shouldn't be expected that the DM (probably a new one since it is a starter set) should have to reference Google to get an idea of what one of the monsters looks like. A STARTER set should be all inclusive.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Lots lots lots LOTS of DMs run some parts of sessions, or sometimes entire sessions or even campaigns, off the cuff. It's a well-established and traditional style of dming that 5e ought to support, along with all the other well-established dm style traditions.

Absolutely -- and it is supported. The only people for whom it isn't supported are, apparently,
those DMs who
(a) need a picture of a monster they have not seen before to exist on the same page as the stat block,
(b) who choose to drop the unfamiliar monster (rather than one for which they have an image already, whether it comes form their own previous play or a google search that morning) into a campaign
(c) drawing their monsters exclusively from a single randomly selected page of the Starter Set, independent of any other context or resource.

I do not see this group as a substantial subset of the lots lots lots LOTS that you mention.

Rather, I expect that the Monster Manual, and possibly even the Basic Set (freely available for those with an internet connection) or Starter Set, will provide sufficient context that what a Nothic looks like will not be a problem for lots lots lots lots LOTS of DMs.

Remove ads