• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starting a 5E campaign - any tips from 5E "veterans?"

Voort

Explorer
Is it very hard to plug 5E in an ongoing campaign? I've got a group and they liked the idea of trying out 5E. I know that, as a DM, I'll have the trouble of converting all NPCs to 5e, and their chars, etc, but do you think it's 1- easy to do it and 2- worthy my time?

The campaign is in a D20-ish system.

Yes, it is fairly easy to convert, and I'd certainly say it is worthwhile. Your biggest sticking points will be stuff that isn't written up yet (psionics, etc.) and characters built around mechanics that changed substantially (opportunity attacks).

LH Almeida

First Post
Yes, it is fairly easy to convert, and I'd certainly say it is worthwhile. Your biggest sticking points will be stuff that isn't written up yet (psionics, etc.) and characters built around mechanics that changed substantially (opportunity attacks).

We don't use opportunity attacks, since we don't use a board. As it's a PbF, and they post once or twice a day, I thought it would be better that way.

I am halfway through the PHB, and I'll devour the DM's, their current adventure should end in about a month or so, I've got plenty of time to adapt their characters and the NPCs 'til then.

Thanks for your opinion, it's a valid input. I'll probably be here frequently asking questions and looking for help. I do want to be a better DM.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I heard about the zombie ability. My friends made it sound very dangerous. Then saw it in action, it's only scary at low level. At higher level you hit hard enough they don't make their save with Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter. Though maybe players that don't use Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter have trouble. Rogues make great zombie killers. One big hit isn't that great at higher level, but it works great against zombies.
I highly recommend adding the "Eat brains" trait from 13th Age to all zombies... the one where the zombie keeps attacking zero hp foes, trying to eat their brains! Being attacked while down by mindless zombies = terror for players!

Paraxis

Explorer
I highly recommend adding the "Eat brains" trait from 13th Age to all zombies... the one where the zombie keeps attacking zero hp foes, trying to eat their brains! Being attacked while down by mindless zombies = terror for players!

Yes being attacked while at 0 h.p is very upsetting, perfect for zombies too. I would also mix up the normal attack rolls with attempts at grabs and shoves(to knock them prone) it will highlight those rules in the game for the players and make packs of zombies seem more interesting and scary. Zombie grabs = speed 0, second zombie shoves prone = can't stand up until breaks first zombies grab, all the other zombies get advantage on prone target.

I find doing things off the stat block that the monsters have, like grabs and shoves makes players more likely to try and do things off the character sheets which ends up being fun for everyone.

The Base MM humaniods, notably orcs and hobgoblins can be MUCH more dangerous than old school versions and even goblins have a solid to hit and damage. If you want larger numbers of humanoids for an encounter, Just use commoners CR 0 (10XP), bandits, guards, nobles and tribesmen CR 1/8th (25xp) , but "describe" them as the race of choice (presence or absence of simple 60' darkvision isn't something that would vary XP).

That said, watch the XP multiplier, as foes add up, their Action economy can overwhelm players should they fail to apply AoE.

Last edited:

Remove ads