starting character options

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Hi Gang,
I just got Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG and was building my starting character. I then realized that I might be sabotaging the characters long term success by going with my initial build. Here is the basic comparison of how I can start the game (110 XP build= 100 from Race + 10 from Morality)

Option A
Race: Twi'lek
Career: Sentinel
Brawn: 1
Agility: 2
Intellect: 2
Cunning: 2
Willpower: 2
Presence: 3

Skills:
Charm: 1
Computers: 1
Cool: 1
Coordination: 1
Deception: 1
Perception: 1
Skulduggery: 1
Stealth: 1
Streetwise: 1
Lightsaber: 2
Core Worlds: 1
Underworld: 1

Specialization Abilities:
Sleight of Mind (1)
Resist Disarm
Makashi Technique
Duelists Training

Force Power: Seek

OR Option B:

Race: Twi'lek
Career: Sentinel
Brawn: 2
Agility: 2
Intellect: 2
Cunning: 3
Willpower: 2
Presence: 4

Skills:
Charm: 1
Deception: 1
Perception: 1
Stealth: 1
Underworld: 1
Streetwise: 1
Ranged (Light): 1
Core Worlds: 1

Specialization Abilities:
Sleight of Mind (1)

So this was my thinking.
- In neither case do I start with a Lightsaber, but with Option A, at least when I get one I will be able to put it to good use and feel like a Jedi.
- Going with Option A, this seems like the more fun/initially capabale character (especially once I get/build a lightsaber), however; I will almost never have more than 2 Upgrade/Proficiency dice. Is this a bad thing?
- Going with Option B seems more like the long haul i n that I'm pretty much just a Space Rogue until I can get another 100 XP under my belt. Down the line it looks like the increase in Cunning and Presence will really pay off, but my character will be a sort of generic for a while, which can be frustrating.

I could use any insight you have and which of the two you would go with and why.

Also, I dont know how long it takes to accumulate 100xp as I havent played the game yet. If the answer was "you'll get that easy in one session" , then clearly I would go with B. If it is more like White Wolf/Onyx Path games where you might get 10XP after an entire "module", then that is different.

Thanks for your input

Desh

Urbanmech

Explorer
One thing to consider is that you can only raise attributes after character creation through the Dedication talent. This usually requires 75-100 exp to purchase, so starting with all 2's will give you more initial skills and talents but your dice pools will be small. In light of this your 2nd option is probably better.

Exp rewards are table specific depending on how long your sessions are. Expect 10-15 for a short 2-4 hour session with rewards increasing for longer games. It takes about 100 earned exp to feel awesome in your core role.

Chimpy

First Post
I would always put as much as possible into characteristics at creation-time because they can't be (usually) increased later. Everything else can be picked up as you go along.

Vwls

First Post
When just starting out I would also focus mostly and a decent stat spread rather than skills. The game I run is sitting at just around 300 xp earned (usually I give out 10 - 15 per session unless they wrap up a major story beat) and I think only 1 player has actually increased any of their stats.

Remove ads