D&D 5E Starting level

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How big of an issue is a wizard/fireball going to be to an actual army? Even targeted at the optimal spot, assuming 1 orc every 5 ft you're talking 40-some orcs. If it's literally an army, that wizard just took out 1% or less of an army that is now going to destroy the caster. The range isn't really all that long.

As far as an orcish war band, I never assume they're organized enough to march in formation. But it will vary depending on campaign, situation and leadership.
The point, though, is whether or not that warband will also be looking out for fireballs behind every tree. As the game assumes that spellcasters are relatively few in number, the answer will be no unless the DM changes things for his world.

Oofta

Legend
The point, though, is whether or not that warband will also be looking out for fireballs behind every tree. As the game assumes that spellcasters are relatively few in number, the answer will be no unless the DM changes things for his world.

That's assuming orcs can spell the word "formation" much less understand what it means. :)

I see hobgoblins as being militaristic, orcs are unorganized bands. But, up to the DM and the campaign world to do what makes sense for them.

Reynard

Legend
"Relatively few in number" doesn't mean rare as hen's teeth, and orcs themselves use spell casters in battle. But this is a silly argument to continue. We have different assumptions about the world the PCs inhabit. And I use different assumptions depending on which version of the game I am running. My 1E world does not look like my Pathfinder or 5E world from an assumed level of magic standpoint. They are different games that carry different assumed settings in their mechanics. I would play my B/X game much like you are describing, but not my 5E game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
"Relatively few in number" doesn't mean rare as hen's teeth, and orcs themselves use spell casters in battle.

They actually are as rare as hen's teeth. There are 6 spellcasting classes and only 2 of them have fireball on their list. 7 and 3 if you count Eldritch Knights. Bards can get it if they really want to, but so few will bother that it doesn't really affect the numbers. Since relatively few includes ALL spellcasters, you've gone from relatively few, to pretty rare by eliminating the majority. Next you have to realize that many of those very rare casters won't be high enough level or bother to learn fireball, so we've gone from fairly rare to very rare. A good chunk of those very rare casters with fireball don't adventure, so the odds are that an orc will find some hen's teeth before he runs into a caster with fireball.

P.S. Those orcish spellcasters in the MM don't have fireball. ;)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ok then, how about the Abjurer, Conjurer, Diviner, Evoker, or Transmuter from Volo's? Humanoid (any race).
He specifically said earlier that he has a MM world. Even if you add those, though, they're still rare and fireball users outside of themselves are rare as hen's teeth, so they wouldn't be expecting fireballs from under every rock as they travel. :)

He specifically said earlier that he has a MM world. Even if you add those, though, they're still rare and fireball users outside of themselves are rare as hen's teeth, so they wouldn't be expecting fireballs from under every rock as they travel. :)

Ah, I see. You're arguing with him about his world. Got it. I'll let myself out. :)

Remove ads