Starting up a rare-magic-item campaign

GlassJaw

Hero
Make your job easier and just use Iron Heroes...or Conan...or Grim Tales...or a lot of other rulesets that have already done the grunt work for you (and have done it very well I might add).

Quartz

Hero
Wasn't there a suggestion from WOTC long ago for a low-magic item campaign: stat bump every even level, feat every odd level?

Matthias

Explorer
I've started up an e-campaign using some of my masterwork rules. It's become quite apparent that NPCs are literally swimming in money with nothing to spend it on when I create them using the existing DMG tables for NPC wealth (DMG page 127).

So I was thinking of slashing all NPC (and PC) expected wealth tables (see also DMG pages 135 and 209) to 10% of the listed values per level, but leave the market values for magical equipment as-is. A 20th level PC would be worth 76,000 gp, able to afford some of the best nonmagical gear money can buy, but he'll have to trade almost all of it for a mere +5 sword and a +5 set of armor or shield.

The 10% rule won't work too well at the lower levels for PCs, so we will need to fudge things a little.

FOR PCs
1st level == per class (up to 480 gp)
2nd level == 580 gp
3rd level == 700 gp
4th level == 860 gp
5th level == 1,050 gp
6th level == 1,300 gp
7th and up == 1/10th of what's on DMG 135 & 209

The tables for NPCs should be okay at 10% of normal (DMG 127), I guess.

I've also looked at Iron Heroes (but haven't had the money for it). D&D 4th Edition's deemphasis on magical gear also looks promising.

What do yall think? Will the 90% cut in character wealth, balance out the lack of expensive magic gear? Or should I go with a different percentage?

Last edited:

Remove ads