• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starting up a rare-magic-item campaign

GlassJaw

Hero
Make your job easier and just use Iron Heroes...or Conan...or Grim Tales...or a lot of other rulesets that have already done the grunt work for you (and have done it very well I might add).

Quartz

Hero
Wasn't there a suggestion from WOTC long ago for a low-magic item campaign: stat bump every even level, feat every odd level?

Matthias

Explorer
I've started up an e-campaign using some of my masterwork rules. It's become quite apparent that NPCs are literally swimming in money with nothing to spend it on when I create them using the existing DMG tables for NPC wealth (DMG page 127).

So I was thinking of slashing all NPC (and PC) expected wealth tables (see also DMG pages 135 and 209) to 10% of the listed values per level, but leave the market values for magical equipment as-is. A 20th level PC would be worth 76,000 gp, able to afford some of the best nonmagical gear money can buy, but he'll have to trade almost all of it for a mere +5 sword and a +5 set of armor or shield.

The 10% rule won't work too well at the lower levels for PCs, so we will need to fudge things a little.

FOR PCs
1st level == per class (up to 480 gp)
2nd level == 580 gp
3rd level == 700 gp
4th level == 860 gp
5th level == 1,050 gp
6th level == 1,300 gp
7th and up == 1/10th of what's on DMG 135 & 209

The tables for NPCs should be okay at 10% of normal (DMG 127), I guess.

I've also looked at Iron Heroes (but haven't had the money for it). D&D 4th Edition's deemphasis on magical gear also looks promising.

What do yall think? Will the 90% cut in character wealth, balance out the lack of expensive magic gear? Or should I go with a different percentage?

Last edited:

Remove ads