• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Statblocks vs adventures: Where's the balance?

Verdande

First Post
Yes, but how many DMs memorized the ranges, durations and precise effects of each spell?

As long as you have roughly the right damage down, you can wing the rest, and (for the most part) the damages were pretty easy to remember.

Maybe you play differently than I, but if I say that Acid Arrow does 3d6 damage over 4 turns and you correct me and say "Actually, it's 2d6+4 over 3 turns", then I'm either going to invoke DM Fiat ("You're right, but this one does 3d6 over 4 turns, it's a slightly different spell") or flat-out admit I'm wrong and roll 2d6+4 for 3 turns.

In regards to the topic at hand: I'm rather partial to monster descriptions being in a separate "monster section" in the back of the adventure, rather than being printed in the middle of the landscape description. If you must print the whole statblock, at least do it so that it doesn't make it hard for me to find the part about the spider webs or whatever I'm flipping around for.

Remove ads