Level Up (A5E) State of the Archetypes

xiphumor

Legend
I hope 1/3rd casters are fine, because once the MoAR volumes conclude, all of the non-caster classes will have at least one. ;)
Oh I think they’re fine in general. And, for example, I’m not worried about the Ecclesiarch, which has to invest in one of its non-core stats and wait until level 3 to use spellcasting. But the Savant is structured in such a way that already makes INT it’s most valuable stat, and it the spellcasting feature would come earlier than level 3.

Question I’ve been mulling over: is a Savant 1/3 caster a bad idea? Specifically, I’ve been taking a look at my Arcana-focused Savant idea and wondering whether it should have some spellcasting.

If it does have spellcasting, my notion is that such Savants usually consider themselves Wizards, but spend more time with each spell and have a narrower focus, allowing them to rapidly create rare spells, making them mildly Sorcerer-like in the process. (Adjacent question: would such Savants have spellbooks or be known casters?)

If it shouldn’t, then the design focuses on someone who knows as much as a wizard does but keeps a distance from spellcasting, perhaps because they’re magically impotent, a fanatical mage hunter with moral reservations about magic, or just doesn’t like getting their hands dirty.

The problem is that if Savants are going to be a 1/3 caster, they’re going to be INT-based, which is already their primary ability score. In addition, they would have to get spellcasting at level 1 or 2, as they have no third-level archetype feature. I’m worried that such an archetype would be too strong, and potentially even introduce a dangerous multiclass dip for wizards.

Thoughts?
I have a rough idea for a savant psychic, starting at about the power level of Spock doing a mind meld at touch range, but then ramping up. But it would not have spells per se.

xiphumor

Legend
I have a rough idea for a savant psychic, starting at about the power level of Spock doing a mind meld at touch range, but then ramping up. But it would not have spells per se.
Your call of course, but my inclination would be to wait for VRC to come out so we can see what the Psion looks like.

Care to elaborate?
You know when Professor X goes into someone's head and walks around, or with Eleven sees the inner thoughts of Max in season 4 of Stranger Things, or when Leonardo DiCaprio goes into dreams in Inception?

They're not firing off 'powers' from afar. It's more like their mind is grappling with another mind, the way opponents might grapple in physical combat.

I could show you the system I've worked up of you're interested.

xiphumor

Legend
You know when Professor X goes into someone's head and walks around, or with Eleven sees the inner thoughts of Max in season 4 of Stranger Things, or when Leonardo DiCaprio goes into dreams in Inception?

They're not firing off 'powers' from afar. It's more like their mind is grappling with another mind, the way opponents might grapple in physical combat.

I could show you the system I've worked up of you're interested.
Sure! DM me.

xiphumor

Legend
The new fighter and adept archetypes in Thematic Toolkit: Scrapper are available.
A395D02B-E079-466F-B6C6-78787B1225A8.jpeg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases