D&D 5E Stats for Different Kind of Trogs

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So I am soon running an adaptation of an old school module (my favorites), that feature troglodytes as the main antagonists/mooks and wanted to both pump up the difficulty of the encounters and add some more different kinds of troglodytes to mix things up. I did some googling to see if any existed and all I found was something called "Troglodyte Meatseeker." I liked the name and the idea, so I stole that with minor tweaks and then created Trog shamen and something called the Troglodyte Juggernaut.

Anyway, would love another set of eyes on these, esp. figuring out the CR so I give the "right" XP.

n.b. I know the rules for trog chameleon power are different here than in the RAW - that change is intentional. I didn't want them to camo in any environment, but in shadowy and subterranean conditions.

trog-meatseeker.jpg

trog-jugg.jpg

trog-shaman.jpg

iltharanos

Explorer
I use this site for quick CR estimates.

I plugged in all the variables and it looks like the meatseeker should be Challenge 3.

As an aside, it's customary to plug in the average damage for attacks, reach for melee, and number of targets, so for the meatseeker:

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for the CR catch! I'll check out that site.

As an aside, it's customary to plug in the average damage for attacks, reach for melee, and number of targets, so for the meatseeker:

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4 + 3) piercing damage.

Yeah. In a long post about the need for abbreviated stat blocks that I wrote (and that I eventually decided against posting) I mentioned how that feels like wasted space for me because I always roll for damage and it seems weird to me that the game would assume you wouldn't.

iltharanos

Explorer
Thanks for the CR catch! I'll check out that site.

Yeah. In a long post about the need for abbreviated stat blocks that I wrote (and that I eventually decided against posting) I mentioned how that feels like wasted space for me because I always roll for damage and it seems weird to me that the game would assume you wouldn't.
Ah, no worries. Makes lots of sense.

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Taking inspiration from nature, I've used:

Troglodyte gekkos - Troglodytes with a climb speed and the spider climb trait, and a sticky tongue attack (melee attack with a 15 foot reach that grappled and dragged a target closer if it failed a Str save).

Troglodyte stinkers - Troglodytes that emit a poisonous stinking cloud from a gland at the base of their tail, covering a 15-foot-square.

Cheers, Al'kelhar

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Taking inspiration from nature, I've used:

Troglodyte gekkos - Troglodytes with a climb speed and the spider climb trait, and a sticky tongue attack (melee attack with a 15 foot reach that grappled and dragged a target closer if it failed a Str save).

Troglodyte stinkers - Troglodytes that emit a poisonous stinking cloud from a gland at the base of their tail, covering a 15-foot-square.

Cheers, Al'kelhar

I already do my bullywugs like that you describe those gekkos!

Ooh! I might give the shamen the stinker power!

Remove ads