Stats for the demon lord Pazuzu

Olrox17

Hero
Inspired by Out of the Abyss and all the powerful demon lords in it, I made a D&D 5e stat block for Pazuzu, master manipulator and corruptor extraordinaire. Any feedback is welcome!

Latest version (thanks for the feedback guys!)

Pazuzu_byolrox17.png

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
You have a couple of typos "Pazuzus" instead of "Pazuzu's" but generally I like it. Is indicating 17th level for the fire bolt instead of describing the amount of damage 5e standard for fiends? I'm away from my book.

Olrox17

Hero
You have a couple of typos "Pazuzus" instead of "Pazuzu's" but generally I like it. Is indicating 17th level for the fire bolt instead of describing the amount of damage 5e standard for fiends? I'm away from my book.
Yeah typos will eventually get fixed :) In Out of the Abyss there are several demon lords with cantrips, and they all have a 17th level notice instead of saying the amount of damage, so I just copied that format.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I figured the "17th level" stuff was standard format - there rest of your design was spot on in my opinion.

Anyways, Pazuzu has always been my favorite of these demon lords, and I like your take.

Dualazi

First Post
Looks pretty good! My only input would be to maybe give him some variant of flyby attack or other mobility-increasing traits, since Pazuzu was described as primarily a demon associated with air and the skies, so you'd think he'd have a great deal of experience with maneuverability. This sort of thing would also help him do hit-and-run tactics in between charming and dominating.

Olrox17

Hero
Looks pretty good! My only input would be to maybe give him some variant of flyby attack or other mobility-increasing traits, since Pazuzu was described as primarily a demon associated with air and the skies, so you'd think he'd have a great deal of experience with maneuverability. This sort of thing would also help him do hit-and-run tactics in between charming and dominating.
That's actually a pretty good idea. I might substitute the boring "attack" legendary action with a more fitting flyby. Thanks for the suggestion!

Olrox17

Hero
Edited the stat block. I added a Flyby as a legendary action, fixed a couple typos, and also gave Pazuzu the ability to plane shift. Pazuzu is, after all, famous for its dealings with mortals, and if it wants to deal with them it must have a way to meet them first!

I figured the "17th level" stuff was standard format - there rest of your design was spot on in my opinion.

Anyways, Pazuzu has always been my favorite of these demon lords, and I like your take.

The 17th level thing means that when Pazuzu casts fire bold it's at 17th level dealing it's max amount of damage of 4d10. If that was not there it would mean that it would only deal 1d10 and be worthless as an attack.

Olrox17

Hero
I think Coercion should allow a save.
My reason for not allowing a save on Coercion was that, otherwise, Coercion needs two successful d20 rolls to do anything. First, a failed save for the target. Second, the target needs to hit its ally with the forced attack. It would end up being a very inaccurate power.

On the other hand, it makes sense to have a save (probably a Cha save). Maybe something like this:

Coercion. A creature Pazuzu can see must make a DC 25 Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, the creature must use its reaction, if available, to make a weapon attack or to cast a cantrip against a target of Pazuzu’s choice. Pazuzu decides which weapon or cantrip is used, if several are available. If the creature fails to inflict any damage to the target chosen by Pazuzu, the creature takes 31 (9d6) psychic damage.

In this version of Coercion, a save is allowed, but once the save is failed, damage is guaranteed to happen. I think it might work.

Remove ads