Stats for the demon lord Pazuzu

Quartz

Hero
Don't forget that you're forcing a creature to use its one and only reaction. And really, how often will a PC make a DC 25 CHA save? If they're proficient in CHA and have a high stat (bard, warlock, sorceror, paladin) they'll be saving at +9 to +11 at level 20, but that's rolling a 14 or more at best. A 2/3 chance of failure. And what about all the others? Your level 20 fighter or wizard or cleric or barbarian or... is going to be saving at maybe +1 or +2, so will only save on a 20.

Olrox17

Hero
Don't forget that you're forcing a creature to use its one and only reaction. And really, how often will a PC make a DC 25 CHA save? If they're proficient in CHA and have a high stat (bard, warlock, sorceror, paladin) they'll be saving at +9 to +11 at level 20, but that's rolling a 14 or more at best. A 2/3 chance of failure. And what about all the others? Your level 20 fighter or wizard or cleric or barbarian or... is going to be saving at maybe +1 or +2, so will only save on a 20.
Well, yes, DCs are high, but that's intentional. We're talking about a CR 26, something that even level 20 PCs could lose against. It is not meant to be your average opponent. Without strong backup or powerful magic items, I assume that even an high level party should have a chance to die to a CR 26 legendary demon.

The forced use of a reaction is also intentional, mirroring how spells such as Dissonant Whispers work. The bright side is that if you've already used your reaction for the round, Pazuzu can't target you with Coercion.

Olrox17

Hero
Great! Thank you so much. FYI, I will need to revise it some as my version of Pazuzu is CR 32 or 33 I think.
No worries, I knew that already. I've checked your thread a couple times in the past. I think I remember you having a similar thread on the old WOTC forums, too.

Dualazi

First Post

While I hate to bring it up since not every group will have it, Paladins in particular with their aura can add +5 to everyone's saves, which gives pretty much everyone a slim chance, and make those optimized around it have +16 to the roll, which means that they'll make the save more often than not. Additionally, exterior factors like race (elves have advantage against charm saves, for example), items (consumable or otherwise) and spells can probably help mitigate some of it. Lastly, all this really does is increase damage to the team and deprive someone of their reaction. If it were a long-lasting hard CC I'd urge more caution, but I think it's fine for this ability to be above the curve in terms of chance to resist.

surfarcher

First Post
The new version looks like a fairly solid CR26 based on the DMG method.

I suspect in actual play it might be more like a CR24 or CR25 tho.

Olrox17

Hero
The new version looks like a fairly solid CR26 based on the DMG method.

I suspect in actual play it might be more like a CR24 or CR25 tho.
Going by raw numbers, you're probably right. However, I wouldn't underestimate the sheer versatility that 1/day wish brings to the table.

Remove ads