Stereotypical campaign help

Zesty Gordita

First Post
So my group wants to play a stereotypical campaign. Two of the players are new (we figured this could be a good way to introduce D&D to them) and two of the players have been gaming for a while.

Anyway, I'm finding myself having trouble deciding on specific stereotypical elements to add to this campaign. If anyone can offer any kind of help, I would really appreciate it.

I've already decided on starting them in an inn, possibly forcing them inside due to a storm or something. I'm having them spend (or lose) as much starting money as possible so that they won't be able to afford a meal or room (to help give incentive to those less likely to help out of the goodness of their heart). While in the inn, one of the innkeepers will be attacked while in the basement. The PCs will be asked to help out in exchange for a hot meal and a room. Surprise, rats in the basement. I'm thinking about having them find some kind of passage in the basement that the rats got in through, but I'm not sure where to take that. Possibly to some abandoned tower or fort not too far off where they'll set off the first of five rituals (mentioned below) which will engulf the entire building in flames.

As for the big picture, I was thinking of having the PCs accidentally set off rituals to summon Tiamat, maybe even use Red Hand of Doom to push that along (or maybe even as the big turning point where she's summoned). There's also going to be an NPC traveling with them who's secretly... someone of some kind of importance... maybe in possession of a piece of

The players currently are:
A Rogue Halfing
An Elven Wizard
A Barbarian Dwarf
A Human Healer
And then there's the NPC, possibly a Half-elf, Gnome, or even a Lesser Drow (or normal Drow and just start him off stronger). Not sure on the class.

So again, if anyone can help at all that would be absolutely awesome.

Stoat

Adventurer
Stereotypical elements to include:

Orc bandits.
Ogres in caves.
A Red Dragon sitting on a Pile of Treasure.
A Demon trapped inside a Summoning Circle.

Kinak

First Post
Starting with the inn and basement is about as classic as it gets. Right up there with the mysterious stranger in the corner of the bar offering a quest.

If you've got tunnels and Tiamat (hey, did you hear about my new game, Tunnels and Tiamats?), I think kobolds would be a great fit. They're in the correct range for a starting game and love traps, which are themselves super stereotypical.

Other stereotypical sites you can use at low level include the abandoned wizard's tower, the skeleton-infested graveyard, and the multi-level dungeon filled with monsters and a dragon at the bottom.

All of those could be sites of other bits of the ritual. For the full stereotype, I'd suggest the PCs disrupt the ritual but that it doesn't prevent her summoning, just makes her vulnerable when she shows up... maybe only vulnerable to them.

Cheers!
Kinak

saskganesh

First Post
10 foot pit trap in the tunnel. triggered by anything heaver than a kobold.

The kobolds will flee (feigned or real), the players give chase, and simply because they are in a rush they won't check for it. a perennial classic.

treasure includes some sort of charged magic item that has random effects: some useful, some dangerous and some silly. make a chart. players are fascinated by that kind of item.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Inn - good. Innkeeper problem - good. Rats - not bad. You still need the stranger that Kinak mentioned, who conveniently has a problem that the PCs can solve. Evidently, his friend the Innkeeper has disappeared into the cellar, and has yet to produce the bottle of wine he requested.

Don't force the PCs to spend all their money, unless they have homes nearby. Because then you'll have some players asking "why would I wander so far from home if I can't afford to get a room?" Which might cause some resentment. Better - a mysterious child has been running around the common room, bumping into people - or a goblin has been picking pockets. Where did that goblin run off to? Oh yeah, the hole that his buddies made in the cellar, through which the rats have been coming.

Long term: an evil wizard in a tower threatens their homeland. And - surprise! - he's a lich.

Gilladian

Adventurer
The hole in the wall in the basement HAS to lead to an ancient evil chapel. And of course, is connected to the old sewer tunnel, and the village miller is secretly leading a small cult of villagers in worship of the demon-god of the chapel...

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I'm not sure what you're asking... (and I mean that in a good way!)

It seems like you're well on your way to providing a great start to a quote-unquote stereotypical campaign.

I'm actually thinking along the same lines, this very week. Your post, as well as the responses, has pretty much solidified the start of my first session!

Thanks, everyone!

aglondier

Explorer
Don't forget the magic mouth in a dungeon spouting off some half-cryptic information...or just making conversation while the dungeon denizens summon reinforcements...

Halivar

First Post
You know... I never played the "stereotypical" campaign. So far it sounds like a lot of fun. Fun I will never have because, you know, "TROPES!!!" or somesuch.

Remove ads