• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stirges.. Most broken monster ever.

shilsen

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Nope, at least for part of what you said. You can move or attack in the surprise round, but not both. A stirge couldn't close into your space (and as tiny creatures they draw AoOs just entering the same space as their victim) and attack before init is rolled.

A stirge could pull it off with a charge in the surprise round, but it does have to start within 40 ft of you to pull that off.

Legildur

First Post
<edit>: bah! Shilsen beat me to it....

Piratecat said:
Nope, at least for part of what you said. You can move or attack in the surprise round, but not both.
Except that footnote 5 on Table 8-2: Actions in Combat says that the Charge action "may be taken as a standard action if you are limited to taking only a single action in a round." It goes on in further detail on p155 under the Charge special attack description.

Piratecat said:
A stirge couldn't close into your space (and as tiny creatures they draw AoOs just entering the same space as their victim) and attack before init is rolled.
See above, and if the opponent is surprised, then no AOO unless they have the Combat Reflexes feat.

Last edited:

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Yea. Stirges are one of those weird little things that are great most of the time ... tense encounter, etc etc, but really very dangerous under the ruleset.

The only real defense is a GM not being a bastage about it and playing them with insect-like instincts to spread out to multiple PCs. Generally, though, they can be a quick death for the unlucky since Con damage is pretty much the universal killer.

--fje

hong

WotC's bitch
IIRC I houseruled stirges to get improved grab, and require a grapple check instead of a simple touch attack to attach. But it's been years since I used stirges.

Infiniti2000

First Post
hong said:
IIRC I houseruled stirges to get improved grab, and require a grapple check instead of a simple touch attack to attach. But it's been years since I used stirges.
No kidding, because that houserule makes a stirge completely impotent. :) Here are the relevant quotes:

SRD said:
Improved Grab
Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature.

Stirge
Size/Type: Tiny Magical Beast
This is a touch attack and can target only Small or larger creatures.

hong

WotC's bitch
Infiniti2000 said:
No kidding, because that houserule makes a stirge completely impotent. :) Here are the relevant quotes:

Deem "with boilerplate text revisions as necessary to fend off anal-retentive types" inserted.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads