• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

5E Storm King's Thunder

Rogue Gallery
OOC
World Map
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You’re convinced the wagon will break soon. The creaking of wood boards and the wobbling of wheels are the only sounds on this peaceful spring night. The transport cost, mere coppers, seemed like such a steal at the time.

The driver is a scrawny man dressed in rags.The wild mop of hair hides his eyes, but not the hooked nose. You don’t know his real name, but he insists on being called Spuds. This moniker is fitting as you share the back of the wagon with five other travelers and a mountain of potatoes. There are enough of them to sleep upon or hide beneath, but not eat. Spuds is adamant about that.

You've been traveling down the coast, along the High Road, for days. Eventually you come across a tree with three arrow-shaped signs nailed to it. The two marked "Waterdeep" and "Daggerford" follow the High Road, but point in opposite directions. The third, marked "Nightstone," beckons you to follow a separate forest trail.

“Not much further now,” Spuds proclaims as the wagon turns inland. He eyes the passengers and cargo nervously. “You best not be swiping Spud’s spuds!”
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
He seems uncomfortable in his ill-fitting suit of armour, but he's not able to stand in the back of the wagon, lest he roll an ankle on one of the potatoes. But with every bump, sending the other passengers spilling, Tranio smiles. It's like he enjoys the discomfort and knocks.

When spuds calls out, Tranio responds "No, sir!" It's not a mocking tone, but it is playful. e picks up there potatoes and tries to juggle them, but does not have much success with the other movement and his armour.

Tranio wears a holy symbol around his neck, and he's happy to talk about his vocation.He introduced himself when he first joined the passengers, but hasn't said much since, though his expressive face has made clear most every thought in his head, or so it seems. "Life is worth living," he says, "but its success is measured by the quality of its end." He does not elaborate.
 
The stoic halfling in the corner tries her best to nestle into the burrow she'd wriggled out of the mountain of potatoes, but the whole thing collapses at the next heavy bump in the road. Frustrated from all the jostling, she closes her eyes and tries with all her might to keep her lunch (of a stolen potato) down. She rolls her eyes at the driver's weak threat.

"He's been waiting all day to say that..."




Code:
[B]AC:[/B] 14; [B]HP:[/B] [COLOR=#FF000]9[/COLOR]/9
[B]Initiative:[/B] +3
[B]Saves:[/B] DEX +5, INT +4
[B]Passive Perception:[/B] 13
[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Halfling, Thieves' cant
[B]Skills:[/B] Acrobatics +7, Deception +2, Investigation +4, Perception +3, Sleight of Hand +4, Stealth +7
[B]Stats:[/B] Str 8 (+1), Dex 17 (+3) , Con 12 (+1), Int 14 (+2), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 11 (+0)

-[B]Inspiration[/B]? [ ] Yes, [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] No
 
Last edited:

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
"Not the worst ride I've ever been on," says the tall woman in heavy chain mail, as she pulls a potato out from behind her. Muttering under her breath, "I'm pretty sure he's aiming for every bump in the road though."
 

TallIan

Explorer
Fistan
Wizard 1

Fistan looked up from his spellbook the wagon hit another bump, the glimmer of light form the back of his hood illuminating each of his companions faces in turn. He knew their names but not much else, for he'd kept largely to himself the whole trip, as always preferring the company of his books over the company of people. He had, he thought, ingratiated himself with the group a little by conjuring up magical servants each evening to strike camp, allowing the group more time to relax.

"Not much further now," said their driver, "You'd best not be swiping Spud's spuds." A chorus of half humorous answers came from his companions and Finnan added his own, "Not until we get a fire going to cook them."

The fine, thick cloth of his mage robes helped a little with the discomfort of the trip, but not enough - perhaps a little comfort in the future - and Finnan would be glad to end the journey. He settled himself as best he could and tilted his head back down, directing the light form his hood onto his book, to continue reading.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 12 (15 with mage armour, 17/20 with shield)
Initiative: +2
HP: 8/8 (HD: 1/1d6)

Offense
Spell attack: +5 to hit Spell DC: 15
Firebolt: +5 120ft 1d10F
Quarterstaff: +1 1d6-1B

Luck: 3/3

Spells
CANTRIPS (3): FireBolt, Light, Minor Illusion
LEVEL 1: (2/2): *Mage Armour, *Shield, *Sleep, *Fog Cloud (C), Unseen Servant (R), Alarm (R)
[/SBLOCK]
 

xynthoros

Villager
He hadn't been traveling with them for very long, just this last stretch as they approached the village, the rest he had traversed through the wood. He was somewhat unfamiliar with the area and could not be certain of his safety, so thought to join the passing caravan. He wasn't quite sure if he was exactly welcome, but they were friendly enough he supposed.

He didn't like to see the horses in chains, and even though few in number he felt there were so many people. Eldrath felt very uncomfortable traveling in a group, but he would have to deal with the trappings of civilization for the time being. This was a mission of utmost importance, one of diplomacy, one that could spare the lives of both human and elf, one that could spare the despoiled wilderness that he called home.

Eldrath remained silent as the others murmered and moaned at a small one's word play. He didn't care to much for Spuds or spuds, both were bland and tasteless. He wanted to get to Nightstone quickly and return to the wilderness even quicker. Hopefully if he succeeded the visions would stop, so for now the elf kept his hood pulled up and ignored the rest of the people.

((OOC: sorry if I'm not giving yous much to work with, but my character is a druid and isn't used to there being other people within single digit miles, let alone single digit feet.))
 
Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Outside Nightstone
Afternoon

A loud snore and snort came from the stretched out dwarf lying atop a pile of potatoes. Dren had found the trip in the wagon to be downright comfortable, as he was used to sleeping on hard rock benches. He yawned and stretched, stroking a hand through his blonde beard as he sat up and looked at the others.

“Are we there yet?”

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:

Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
AC: 14
HP: 11/11 HD: 1/1d8
Ki: 0
[/sblock]
 
After following the trail for a few miles, you hear the ringing of a bell. The sound grows louder as Nightstone comes into view.

"Why would they be ringing the bell at this hour," Spuds asks to no one in particular. It is clear he is quite nervous.

A river flows around the settlement, forming a moat. The village itself is contained within a wooden palisade, beyond which you see a windmill, a tall steeple, and the high-pitched rooftops of several other buildings. Apart from the ringing of the bell, you detect no other activity in the village.

The trail ends before a lowered drawbridge that spans the moat. Beyond the drawbridge, two abandoned stone watchtowers flank an open gap in the palisade. South of the village and surrounded by the river moat is a cone-shaped, flat-topped hill on which stands a stone keep enclosed by a wooden wall.

"This ain't right. They keep the draw bridge up at night," Spuds explains nervously. "Best we turn around, head to Daggerford instead."
 
Last edited:

TallIan

Explorer
Fistan
Wizard 1

"That is strange." confirmed Fistan, "But I did come here to find the trouble." Perhaps I could convince you to wait a few minutes while I have a look?".

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 12 (15 with mage armour, 17/20 with shield)
Initiative: +2
HP: 8/8 (HD: 1/1d6)

Offense
Spell attack: +5 to hit Spell DC: 15
Quarterstaff: +1 1d6-1B

Luck: 3/3

Spells
CANTRIPS (3): FireBolt, Light, Minor Illusion
LEVEL 1: (2/2): *Mage Armour, *Shield, *Sleep, *Fog Cloud (C), Unseen Servant (R), Alarm (R)
[/SBLOCK]

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Bethany
Fighter 1

"There is something very wrong that needs investigating, or we are jumping at shadows, either way, turning around is not something I want to do." She begings gathering her things to climb out of the wagon. "As pleasant as this trip has been, my road goes through this village."
 
The halfling peeks over the cart's railing with her nose in the air, completely taking in the ominous scene. She too has had enough of this ride, and nods at the as she gathers her belongings. Carolina hefts up her pack and starts looking for a flat spot to hop over the rail.




Code:
[B]AC:[/B] 14; [B]HP:[/B] [COLOR=#FF000]9[/COLOR]/9
[B]Initiative:[/B] +3
[B]Saves:[/B] DEX +5, INT +4
[B]Passive Perception:[/B] 13
[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Halfling, Thieves' cant
[B]Skills:[/B] Acrobatics +7, Deception +2, Investigation +4, Perception +3, Sleight of Hand +4, Stealth +7
[B]Stats:[/B] Str 8 (+1), Dex 17 (+3) , Con 12 (+1), Int 14 (+2), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 11 (+0)

-[B]Inspiration[/B]? [ ] Yes, [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] No
 

xynthoros

Villager
He wasn't too familiar with human customs, but the Spud seemed to believe something was awry, and even to Eldrath it did seem odd. He stepped down from the wagon, his hand producing a flame... getting ready for whatever may come. "I have business with the lady of the keep, if there is trouble here, than it should be dealt with... not fled." Perhaps there was some sign outside the gate as to what was going on within?

OOC: Perception [roll0]
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
"Spuds," says Tranio, "you're losing your passengers, it seems." He slides himself out of the wagon. "It'd be nice if you stayed just beyond the clearing there. Be strong," he says, casting a quick Guidance spell on the driver, hoping to affirm him and make him feel more confident.

He hefts his shield, but almost forgets his war hammer, which he slides out of the cart, but which he soon lobs by the side of the road for later retrieval.

"This is going to be fun..." he says, though it's not clear if he raises his voice in a question at the end or not.
 

TallIan

Explorer
Fistan
Wizard 1

Fistan's face is a picture of relief that the others are also keen to investigate. "I guess we should expect trouble," se says as he climbs down form the wagon. Gesturing his staff he adds, "Eam Amra." His robes flutter briefly in the unseen magical energy.

[SBLOCK=actions]
Actions: Cast mage armour
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 12 (15 with mage armour, 17/20 with shield)
Initiative: +2
HP: 8/8 (HD: 1/1d6)

Conditions: Mage armour

Offense
Spell attack: +5 to hit Spell DC: 15
Quarterstaff: +1 1d6-1B

Luck: 3/3

Spells
CANTRIPS (3): FireBolt, Light, Minor Illusion
LEVEL 1: (1/2): *Mage Armour, *Shield, *Sleep, *Fog Cloud (C), Unseen Servant (R), Alarm (R)
[/SBLOCK]
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Outside Nightstone
Evening

Dren heard the ringing bells and looked toward the town. The gates were wide open and the drawbridge down. Spuds seemed concerned at that.

“Perhaps we should investigate,” Dren mused. “You may go to Daggerford if you wish, Spuds,” the dwarf told the merchant. “But it is already nightfall, so I do not know if traveling would be safer. Find a safe place in the trees off the road and camp without fire tonight, friend,” he suggested.

Hopping out of the wagon, Dren pulled his small axe. “Halfling,” he said, “shall we investigate ahead of the others?” the monk offered.

Stealth: 1D20+2 = [3]+2 = 5

Not so stealthy!

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:

Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
AC: 14
HP: 11/11 HD: 1/1d8
Ki: 0
[/sblock]
 
Carolina scowls at the monk for a moment. "Sure thing, Dwarf." She winks, and moves on ahead.

Stealth: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15




Code:
[B]AC:[/B] 14; [B]HP:[/B] [COLOR=#FF000]9[/COLOR]/9
[B]Initiative:[/B] +3
[B]Saves:[/B] DEX +5, INT +4
[B]Passive Perception:[/B] 13
[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Halfling, Thieves' cant
[B]Skills:[/B] Acrobatics +7, Deception +2, Investigation +4, Perception +3, Sleight of Hand +4, Stealth +7
[B]Stats:[/B] Str 8 (+1), Dex 17 (+3) , Con 12 (+1), Int 14 (+2), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 11 (+0)

-[B]Inspiration[/B]? [ ] Yes, [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] No
 
Tranio:

With just the touch of your hand, a sea of bravery washes over the farmer’s faces. “I’ve got nothing to fear with you lot here,” Spuds proclaims. “I’ll set up camp on that hill above the clearing,” he explains before commanding the horses to move.

Eldrath:

You notice quite a few tracks in the mud around the draw bridge.

The oldest tracks belong to dozens of shoe wearing humanoids. They could be described as chaotic and lack any tactical formation. These tracks all head North, towards Ardeep Forest.

There are newer tracks that are barefoot and goblinoid in shape. They are single file, so you can’t determine an exact number of individuals. These tracks head out of the forest and into Nightstone.

The newest tracks belong to a pair of four legged creatures. The prints resemble wolves, but much bigger. These tracks also head into Nightstone.

Carolina and Dren:

With varying success, you sneak towards the village. Thankfully, the ringing of the bell conceals any sounds you make. You cross the bridge and several unusual things catch your attention.

Large boulders are scattered in all directions, many embedded into the ground. It is likely that a siege weapon had launched them into the village. Most of these rocks are four feet tall and 3 feet in diameter. They are far too heavy for a lone human to lift.

To your left (5) is a simple wooden steeple. The bell ringing is clearly coming from the top of here.

To your immediate right (4A) is a small cottage. The windows have been smashed and the front door is open.

Further in the village (4B) is a small wheat farm. Two boulders have landed in the field, crushing crops beneath them. A third boulder seems to have fallen on the farm house, collapsing half of it in the process.

nightstone1.PNG
 
Last edited:
Carolina draws her bow and, with an arrow nocked, moves to investigate the small cottage.

Investigation, if needed: 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17




Code:
[B]AC:[/B] 14; [B]HP:[/B] [COLOR=#FF000]9[/COLOR]/9
[B]Initiative:[/B] +3
[B]Saves:[/B] DEX +5, INT +4
[B]Passive Perception:[/B] 13
[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Halfling, Thieves' cant
[B]Skills:[/B] Acrobatics +7, Deception +2, Investigation +4, Perception +3, Sleight of Hand +4, Stealth +7
[B]Stats:[/B] Str 8 (+1), Dex 17 (+3) , Con 12 (+1), Int 14 (+2), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 11 (+0)

-[B]Inspiration[/B]? [ ] Yes, [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] No
 

xynthoros

Villager
Eldrath whispers trying to warn those within earshot, "Be careful, it seems there are goblins within, and some type of large beast as well." He dispels the flames that wreathed his hand and draws his scimitar. It seems stealth the rest were trying to move quietly into the village, he would try to join them. If goblins were about, it would be best not to get separated.

OOC: Stealth roll: [roll0]
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
"Thank you, Spuds," Tranio says, as he begins to move towards the town.

Tranio advances towards the drawbridge. Unlike his companions he is not trying to hide. He is not interested in the mishmash of footsteps. He smells the sour rot of death in the air. His armour doesn't fit, but he thinks momentarily of the body he took it from.Eventually, he will find a better-fitting suit.

His shield is held high, and he walks to the drawbridge. "A drawbridge means one entrance," he says to no one in particular. "If we can raise that, then they're trapped inside with us." he revels in that thought.

As he approaches, he is alert to any ambush, particularly from the towers. If he sees any threat, his now-empty hand will shoot its beams of Chill Touch.

Perception: [roll0].
 

Advertisement

Top