D&D 5E Stormwreck Isle Starter Sets show up in the wild!

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I was hoping to see some indication that they've revised the PHB races to be more in line with MotM.
It’s hard to know either way about that because we don’t get any character generation rules here. So for example whether racial ability score modifiers are uncoupled a la Tasha’s is impossible to know. Whether the elves, dwarf, and halfling presented here would be categorized as “sub-races” or just individual race options a la Mordenkainen’s is likewise impossible to discern. You COULD still make totally “traditional” 5E characters using all the changes from Tasha’s and MMotM.

The presence of short rests is imo the only thing that’s really telling. But there’s no reason post 2024 printings of this box couldn’t just have updated mechanics.

darjr

I crit!
Well, if this is intended to be around after 2024 then it’s a hard line about backwards compatibility.

I’m extremely happy about that if it’s the case.

Get knewer more modern changes and not invalidate all the cool stuff already out there.

Maybe it’s a signal to third parties too?

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Are the dragons any different in stats. Like the Blue and Bronze from the MM.

Cover of the box is a little misleading in that the only blue dragon in the adventure is a wyrmling. Statblock is identical to the MM.

We do get an adult bronze and a bronze wyrmling. The wyrmling is identical, but the bronze is NOT identical to the MM. However, the adult bronze is also a specific NPC, which may account for some differences. The adult bronze lacks several abilities from the MM (including Legendary Actions) and is CR 13, not 15. However, the party is very unlikely to fight this dragon and I feel like the stat block may have been abbreviated for space reasons more than anything.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
The backgrounds for the pre-gens:

High elf wizard is a Sage
Lightfoot halfling rogue is a Criminal
Human paladin is a Noble
Wood elf fighter is a Folk Hero
Hill dwarf cleric is a Soldier

Each character has a couple paragraphs of customized background, and an explanation of any skill proficiencies or languages or extra equipment they get from it. However, none of them have the traditional PHB Background Features (like the Folk Hero getting free room & board, etc).

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I'm still torn between the mile stone leveling and xp leveling. Mile stone is easier sure but I like getting xp and giving out xp. There's a visible progression to it.
For a short while wasn’t there a middle of the road kind of milestone? Maybe I’m thinking AL. Anyway it was a lump some of XP that got you to a new level if you were at the lowest level of a tier.

Remove ads