Story Hour cursing..??

The Crimster

First Post
As the new kid on the block here, I have a question. My Story Hour is set in the 'present day' - and the current episode has the players meeting some rather unruly types that use a lot of foul language (gang members, who don't always use polite conversation). I don't want to offend anyone - but I'd like to stick with what they actually said.

Opinions?

The Crimster

Sen Udo-Mal

First Post
I wouldn't mind but...

I am nobody here :)
I would think that a warning in the heading or maybe at the top of the story saying something like "R rated language to follow" should be fine.
I would enjoy another modern day story for sure, maybe someday I will post my Branch 13 here also (Hellboy world... got to love it, and I am been thinking about doing a ShadowChasers one also)

drnuncheon

Explorer
I don't think a warning is sufficient if you read the ToS of the site. We can't offend Morrus' grandma, or something like that.

Besides, if you swear, the filters get it. :):):):)! See?

What I would (and have) done is to put in enough to let people guess at the word but not all of it. For example:

"F--- off, boy scout!"

But hey, yours is a comic book campaign right? Shouldn't they all be cursing like this: #%$@!

:D

J

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
I think it's Eric's grandma, but the point is a good one.

Remember that a lot of young people play RPGs, and access this site. I realize that the language may be a component of the versimilitude of your story, but there are creative ways that you can present it without resorting to actual profanities.

The filter does create some interesting quirks: in my own story hour, the group met someone from Calimshan (in the Forgotten Realms); the adjective for someone from there is "Cali:):):):)e" (rhymes with "mite").

See what I mean?

Overall, though, I think we're better off keeping it "clean".

Lazybones

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Yes, indeed. Verisimillitude doesn't overrule profanity guidelines. You can use the #%$@ method or the F--- method, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to get around the filters by the use of inventive spelling.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

Victim

First Post
Maybe there could be cheesy effects that pop up and say "Pow!" or "Blam!" in bright colors too. Just like the old Batman TV show.

Remove ads