D&D 5E STR modified Speed

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
As above, it's hard to judge the efficacy of a house rule without the underlying need for it in the context of its specific game. What are you trying to achieve?

Maybe - but it's not hard to judge whether you personally like it and if you forsee such a rule causing other issues.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I agree that 5' * Str Bonus may be a bit much, but I'm not sure it would break anything. Going to a 2' or 3' bonus would tap it down but doesn't seem as much fun.
You could try something like Speed = SIZ + STR + DEX where SIZ = 10 for medium, 5 for small. Josan A Commoner would have the standard speed of 30. Many adventurers would be faster, a few might be /slightly/ slower. I'd still say definitely adopt more draconian/granular encumbrance rules that reduce speed significantly.

FrogReaver

Had the thought of STR scores modifying the base speed of humanoids, and thinking adding this little house rule to the next campaign I'm running. Any thoughts?

Modified Speed - Add 5 Feet * your STR Modifier to your Speed

Just make it be your str score gets added to speed rounded down to the nearest 5 ft.

That said I don't understand the fiction of a strong PC being faster than an agile one. If anything it should be the other way around.

OB1

Jedi Master
That said I don't understand the fiction of a strong PC being faster than an agile one. If anything it should be the other way around.

I see Dex as precision, Str as raw power, but again, ultimately it's not about realism but about giving new tactical options to those characters who invest in strength.

dave2008

Legend
Had the thought of STR scores modifying the base speed of humanoids, and thinking adding this little house rule to the next campaign I'm running. Any thoughts?

Modified Speed - Add 5 Feet * your STR Modifier to your Speed
I like the idea, but it doesn't quite make sense to me. For example, the strongest people (body builders) and nothing close to the fastest people (sprinters). In fact, I bet I am faster than any contestant that ever participated in the World's Strongest Man finals and I can only bench press about 250lbs.

dave2008

Legend
I see Dex as precision, Str as raw power, but again, ultimately it's not about realism but about giving new tactical options to those characters who invest in strength.
I guess I would see it more as feat or something similar, to indicate you have trained to have STR benefit your speed. I do like the idea of giving STR something more, but I do it with HP and attack damage (range attacks use STR for damage not DEX)

FrogReaver

It's not even about realism - it's about being true to the fiction you've already established. Combat speed isn't defined as something raw power would directly impact. That's the issue I'm having. Ultimately, if you don't want a mechanic that's at least compatible with the existing fiction then there's so many better things to change than speed!

OB1

Jedi Master
It's not even about realism - it's about being true to the fiction you've already established. Combat speed isn't defined as something raw power would directly impact. That's the issue I'm having. Ultimately, if you don't want a mechanic that's at least compatible with the existing fiction then there's so many better things to change than speed!
Right, it isn't established that way but it should be! Is there anything about the established fiction contradicts stronger=faster?

FrogReaver

Right, it isn't established that way but it should be! Is there anything about the established fiction contradicts stronger=faster?

I disagree. It shouldn't. Speed in combat isn't about sprinting like you were in a race which might have some relationship to strength. It's just as much about nimbleness and agility and intelligence and wisdom as it is about strength - actually probably moreso.

Remove ads