D&D 5E STR modified Speed

dave2008

Legend
I disagree. It shouldn't. Speed in combat isn't about sprinting like you were in a race which might have some relationship to strength. It's just as much about nimbleness and agility and intelligence and wisdom as it is about strength - actually probably moreso.
In your opinion. Moving while encumbered (by armor and weapons) definitely has a strength component to it. But I get where your coming from. However, @OB1 can have a different version of established fiction and that is fine. Heck the idea that strong also = fast is not exactly new. GBZ as been out for many years and the strongest characters a pretty much also the fastest.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
In your opinion. Moving while encumbered (by armor and weapons) definitely has a strength component to it. But I get where your coming from. However, @OB1 can have a different version of established fiction and that is fine. Heck the idea that strong also = fast is not exactly new. GBZ as been out for many years and the strongest characters a pretty much also the fastest.

He can have his fiction do whatever non-sensible thing he wants it to. All i'm saying is maybe think a little more about it making sense than on it's mechanical impact on the game.

dave2008

Legend
He can have his fiction do whatever non-sensible thing he wants it to. All i'm saying is maybe think a little more about it making sense than on it's mechanical impact on the game.
That is how I approach things as well, but for a game I think it is more important to make the mechanics work and be fun for you and your group than for it to "make sense." Unless of course the adds to or detracts from the groups fun (like it would for me, and I am guessing you).

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I don't normally say this (!), but I'm with @FrogReaver on this particular House Rule/change.

I'm interested to see how it turns out if @OB1 does this in play, but I think it is an odd House Rule as currently proposed that will have an outsized impact on the game, play style, encounter design, etc.

IF you're going to do it, I still think using Con modifier rather than Str makes more sense, both from a "fiction" stand point and a limiting impact standpoint.

Fewer people pump PC Con as high, and Con scores for monsters are generally not as high as Str. It would have less of an overall impact on the game. Maybe a nice middle ground, especially if @OB1 finds that the Str version impacts things too much.

OB1

Jedi Master
@FrogReaver

Here is a modification that is a bit more limited in scope (and perhaps better connected to established fiction), but could still prove situationally useful.

If you move in a straight line on your turn, you can add 5’ times your Str modifier to your speed for that turn (min 0 feet)

This allows armored nights to charge a hill or fortified enemy position, climb a ladder or cliff faster, or out swim weaker opponents.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
@FrogReaver

Here is a modification that is a bit more limited in scope (and perhaps better connected to established fiction), but could still prove situationally useful.

If you move in a straight line on your turn, you can add 5’ times your Str modifier to your speed for that turn (min 0 feet)

This allows armored nights to charge a hill or fortified enemy position, climb a ladder or cliff faster, or out swim weaker opponents.

Love it!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases