Strategy or role-playing game?

Vindicator

First Post
Jim Hague said:
Hi! Could you please not come on and threadcrap? The thread just got back under control, and some interesting points're being made. Posts like yours don't contribute anything meaningful, and they're not particularly funny. Thanks.

Oh, don't be so grumpy. Besides, I was actually making two meaningful points in my posts:

1. Personality mechanics such as Bluff and Diplomacy don't necessarily lead to more role-playing. Often they become another attack roll.

2. 3e has far more rules than 1e.

Sheesh, some people. :confused:

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
Jim Hague said:
Hi! Could you please not come on and threadcrap? The thread just got back under control, and some interesting points're being made. Posts like yours don't contribute anything meaningful, and they're not particularly funny. Thanks.

Speak for yourself. I thought his point was both funny and valid. My group has the same experience. We all roll "Bluff" and "Diplomacy" the same way we roll "Attack" or "Save". No role-playing. At least not because of the mechanic.

Jim Hague

First Post
Vindicator said:
Oh, don't be so grumpy. Besides, I was actually making two meaningful points in my posts:

1. Personality mechanics such as Bluff and Diplomacy don't necessarily lead to more role-playing. Often they become another attack roll.

2. 3e has far more rules than 1e.

Sheesh, some people. :confused:

Given how things have been flung back and forth, I think caution is adviseable. To address your points:

1) Depends on the group and GM, entirely. As Henry and Buzz point out, and I agree with, sliding too far one way or the other usually leds to Not Fun play. And if it's not fun, why do it?

2) No, the rules are more comprehensive and less complex. The rules also make a lot more sense, instead of Elf as a character class. Take a look at all the books of rules for 1st and 2nd edition, then tell me that there's more rules in 3e. Seriously.

Jim Hague

First Post
Chainsaw Mage said:
Speak for yourself. I thought his point was both funny and valid. My group has the same experience. We all roll "Bluff" and "Diplomacy" the same way we roll "Attack" or "Save". No role-playing. At least not because of the mechanic.

You play your way, I'll play mine. I'd find just rolling to be unconscionably boring.

Remove ads