Strikeforce: Morituri Part One "the Mortals" Is Completed

STRIKEFORCE: MORITURI
SEGMENT 073
“The Forest and its Unexpected Guardian”

“I think that is the island” shouted the Captain to both Megamania and Jean. “Those rocks look like the ones from the map.”

Before them were tall rocky cliffs with patches of fully-grown trees on cracks and paths leading up the wall. Colorful birds, feathered and reptilian, flew about.

Jean found her sight was not as strong as it used to be. Was it new sight or was she going blind as her eyes dried up. She shuddered thinking about it. She could not feel the wind or the cool air on her skin but she felt something still. Something she had not felt in many a year. Hatred and the need for revenge.

“There is the tower we saw.” Says Megamania as he spots it ahead of them. They circle a few times looking for problems and a place to land. As they do they realize it is unnaturally quiet here.

“Okay…this is weird” mumbles the spy from the 20th century. Trying to use his powers of magic absorption, he tries to feel out magic but finds he senses none. Whether this means there is none or he just can’t use his powers this way is uncertain to him. But it was worth the try to him either way.

With the Fly spell nearly used up, the Captain from WWII lands quietly next to him. His powerful shield seems alive with reflections of the moving tree branches and floating flowers. Jean settles next to them. Jim can not help but wonder if the nose filters of his mask are keeping out the smell of rot or if Jean simply dose not smell since it is magical in nature. Knowing this is the last thing that should be on his mind he looks to the tower.

“Looks innocent enough.” He leans forward to take a step to the tower but The Captain stops him.

“That is what scares me. With so much life here, why is it we hear none of it?”

Daintily Megamania removes the hand of the Captain from his shoulder and moves on. “You worry to much.”

Three steps into it Megamania suddenly leaps back as the ground explodes in rapid short bursts as tiny metal needles are fired at him. Following the direction of the onslaught, Megamania can a large metallic spider like robot. No- make that several CHARGING spider like robots.

The Captain’s shield whistles by Megamania and strikes down three robots. Jean creates a focused ice storm that fires sharp pieces of hurtling ice that breaks up more robots. Megamania pulls out his energy pistol but waits. He is running low on energy in this clip. Once it’s gone, where will he recharge it?

The creatures seem to never end. Several dozen are destroyed before the three heroes step cautiously towards the tower again. Amazed, Megamania pushes the unlocked door open. Then his hand glows. He pushes on the space of the door and it resists him. “An illusion!” He absorbs it for later use. It takes another ten minutes to use the combined abilities of his Spellfire and thieving abilities to find a hidden door covered with another illusion.

They go inside and find the space inside is MUCH larger than outside. The tower was only about 40 feet at the base. This first room is easily 75 feet long and deep. Doors lead away and two entwined spiraling staircases lead up into the darkness above.

“wow ….where to?”

SEGMENT 074
“Empty Rooms …Nearly Empty That Is”

“Ah Comon! All of these rooms are empty white and boring rooms with no clues to where Chris is!” grumbles loudly Jim Addards. He is currently within his fourth room searching for clues or a secret door.

“We can not give up. You should not give up.” Says the Captain with a tone that beckons no rebuttal.

Jean merely watches on with yellow and red eyes. She worries about her friend but finds her heart is darkening. Her care for the living is dissolving. She has yet to admit that she is finding wasting time looking for a living person bothers her.

Four hours later, Jim is now becoming furious with frustration. “I can’t believe this! Its like there is nothing here to see. It’s a video loop. Its …….?”

“Video loop? What is that?” asks the Captain who has heard of video but not a loop.

With an increasing smile, the US Government spy stops and seems to concentrate. On what is uncertain to the Captain. Jean watching passively.

“Ahhhh ..the rat bastards ….nearly worked to.”

“What nearly did?” Asks the Captain trying to be patient with Jim and his mannerisms.

“This is an illusion. ALL of it. Damn powerful hocus pocus. It is hiding my ability to feel magic but once I took time to try – I can feel it …the magic.”

“WELL DONE YOUNG TRICKSTER. YOU HAVE SENCED THE TRUTH. CAN YOU NOW FACE IT?” Comes a voice from the very walls.

“Crap. Yeah. I saw a movie and read a few comic books of this. Guys- this place is possessed …haunted. Or even alive.” Says Megamania smiling.

Standing straight and trying to sound clear and confident- “Do you have our friend within this place?” Asks the Captain.

A long silence follows.

“I ask once more politely …Is Christina of The Mace within these walls?” asks the Captain.

Silence.

“Jim …..” commands the Captain without a look or complete command.

Jim touches the wall and concentrates on the magic. His control is improving but this time the magic is alive. It is fighting his Spellfire abilities to absorb magical energies. The walls begin is yellow and should gray lines of stress. Jim’s hands begin to glow.

“YOU WOULD DARE?”

Suddenly Megamania snaps back his head and grunts. A silent scream of terror is hidden by his facemask. He drops to his knees but never breaks contact with the walls. His head sags and his body slumps down as if unconscience.

“Jim…?” asks the Captain reaching out with his free hand.

“NO! Step back Roger!” Yells Jean is a hoarse voice.

Jim turns. The green visors of his mask flare with a reddish purple color. He reaches out and releases a blast at the Captain. His shield blocks the attack but he is forced back five feet.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Poooowwwwwweer!” yells the glowing Rogue. He tries to blast as Jean but she moves away easily taking flight with her magical boots.

The images of the walls break away revealing a broken vine covered ruin instead of the beautiful and pristine tower it once was.

Glowing still, Megamania, now possessed by the spirit, begins to float. “Are you ready to die before me?”

Look_a_Unicorn

First Post
Some advocate setting yourself a schedule or regular timeframe to sit down and write once an evening/week/fortnight. If you get nothing out in this time, then so be it.

I dealt with my writers block yonks ago by a complete shakeup of my activities- changed routines all over the palce, took up new hobbys/sports and dropped old ones. Got rid of that "stuck in a rut" type feeling.

The other thing that might work is to give yourself a genuine break for yoursself- a completely selfish one. Only do things you want to do, go away somewhere for a weekend alone or only with the people/person you know will understand the concept of "me time". Take it easy, crack open a beer and watch a few sunsets.
Or if you can't take the time to do any of that, just some simple meditation after work. Get home, get changed... then put on some soft music and just focus on breathing without thinking about ANYTHING for as long as you need. 15 minutes? 5? Don't get frustrated if you find yourself following lines of thought, just tell yourself "later" and let go of them.

Works for me, anyway *shrug*

SEGMENT 075
“Taking Down the Mania”

“I would rather not have to do this …again….” Says the Captain as he balls up his fist to strike the now possessed rogue. “But we can’t allow this to continue.”

Even as the Captain prepares to leap at Megamania the rogue reaches out with his hand and releases a blast of Spellfire. The Captain’s shield easily deflects it but it stops the Captain. Jean however, is free to act and does. Knowing he can absorb most of her spells she decides to caste a spell that conjures up a great wind. The wind blows onto him and forces him back and to the ground.

Protecting his face, he digs in and tries to walk against the steady wind. Step by step he does. His strength is being increased by the will and evil of the spirit within him.

A reverse wind effect begins. It is colored green and purple as if tainted by the spirit’s essence. Jean finds her spell is weakening.

Suddenly, Jim’s head looks up to Jean as if in surprise and he stops resisting. His body is ripped from the ground and thrown into the edge of the forest. Many curses can be heard as his body rolls and comes to a rest against a tree. His eyes begin to glow again. Stiffly, he reaches to his hip pouch and withdraws his energy pistol.

“Take cover!” The Captain yells as he swings his shield before him. He has pulled out his primary weapon.

The zombie soars higher and flies over the trees above Megamania giving her cover.

“Run but you will not hide. You have done me a great service undead whore. With the boy defeated and unconscious, I AM IN CONTROL!”

“Who would that be?” Asks the Captain moving closer wondering if he could use his shield as a weapon without killing the human host.

“His name is Baatezeussus. He is a creature most foul and evil. Some refer to him as a Horned Devil.”

Both the possessed rogue and the Captain turn to see green eyes hidden within the tree branches. A yellow and green fringed cat-like woman looks down. She wears a body suit not unlike that worn by the rogue but of purple and black. She jumps down from the tree branches and lands gracefully below.

“Shall we dance?” She almost purrs to the possessed rogue.

He lets off three blasts of energy from the gun. Two go wild and the other strikes an invisible field that protects her from such attacks.

“Tsk Tsk. That is no way to make friends.” She casts a spell that seems to Hold him. Do not worry Captain. I have already protected the two of you from his possession attempts. Now we must only aid Jim Addards.”

Jean lands nearby. Her ankles are stiffing up so it is less graceful that usual. “Who are you?”

She pulls out something from a hidden pocket and gives a quick flick of the wrist that alarms the Captain. She places her sunglasses on and smirks “Back up.”

SEGMENT 076
“What Makes Jim Tick?”

He opens his eyes slowly. He has heard nothing and felt less once he came to a few moments ago. He remembers touching the wall of the strange room within the tower and feeling a voice in his mind. It sang to him. Celine Dion singing to him. He opened his mind to her and well …here he is.

He looked up and saw he was on a park bench. NYC but it wasn’t NYC. The Styx Tower was here. BUILT WHERE THE TWIN TOWERS WORE. HE growled under his breath. It no longer mattered where he was. Vandal Boc was NOT going to commit this act of evil here …whereever here is.

A police officer was moving his way. Slender and …yes the source of the voice. He was certain of it. Even for him, this dream was strange.

“Curfew.” She said in that beautiful and seductive voice.

Jim looked at his garb. Why did the officer have no issue with how he was dressed? He was in his riot gear. Heavy metal and ceramic plating that he wore to protect himself when he knew it was going to be a shot ‘em up mission.

“Gonna arrest me?” He says with a boyish grin hoping to be charming.

“If need be.”

A cab drives by. He can see Beyonce in the back seat. She has a tattered skull face image on her shirt.

He ignores the second mental warning.

“You have best to be going young man…”

Jim sees a man in a military suit waving for a cab. He has a large artist’s portfolio case that is oddly about 3ftx3ft. The cab with Beyonce pulls up. The soldier stares at him as if to judge him before he gets in. It pulls away. Jim notes it is the only car on the street.

He stops thinking about the officer before him for a moment. Another car comes by. In the back is a woman cuffed. She looks sad. She looks …like Christina!

“… or do I need to take you?” the officer says looking directly at Jim now. Her eyes glow white and then her skin darkens and small horns tear through her uniform. Finally, bat-like wings tear through the back of her shirt. She strikes Jim hard and he goes down.

He awakens again. He is in a dungeon. One he knows well. Styx Tower. Vandel Boc had him here for several weeks trying to break his will. Instead he broke his bones and finally his neck.

He senses his friends are nearby. He senses they are in trouble. They are in danger. But he is trapped here.

“No.”

He stares at the walls and ceiling.

“No.” he repeats to himself.

He looks at his bindings. He has picked these before. He will again.

“This is not real. None of this is.”

Days seem to go by before anyone comes.

It is the same police officer with horns and wings. Behind her is a man in the shadows.

As soon as the officer enters the room Jim acts. He has already picked the lock. He attacks and fights with the creature.

Suddenly it is all gone. He hears a distant howl of strong winds. He can feel the cold and pressure on his body. He feels his muscles tighten and pushing against the force. He opens his eyes and sees the Captain in a protective stance. Protective against ..him?!? Suddenly he is air born and flies into a tree.

The winged woman has her foot on Jim’s throat. You can not win mortal. Not against me or my friend. The “friend” steps out of the shadows. He is dressed in a dark red uniform with shiny soft leather looking boots. His face is heavily scared. The scars issue from his face and wrap around his head. One eye is dull white and possibly sightless.

“Hello again boy.”

“NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!” Screams Jim and he grabs the leg holding her weight and gives a sharp yank. Unsteadied, he spins and wraps his feet before and after her foot and kicks ..hard. He breaks her ankle and trips her up.

“NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!” it screams.

Jim can feel the spirit being ripped out of his mind, body and soul. He can feel their support. His friends are here. As is Christina. Everything is bright and swirling before him. He can feel his stored Spellfire releasing itself to aid him.

“There will be another day.” The possessive Baatezu snarls. “Soon”

Jim ignores her and stares at the figure beside her. He smiles and flips him the bird before mentally leaving the tower and reconnecting with his body fully in the forest.

He falls to his feet then to his knees and would have fallen to his face if not caught by a woman. Christina.

SEGMENT 077
“Club: Fallen and Won’t Get Up”

“Infiniti saw this. She saw it all. It is why I am here. It is why you are here. All of us.”

Still holding onto each other, Jim looks over this new member. Sasha. She is a cat-like person with great skills of magic and divine might. She had visions. She saw Vander die. She saw Teresa die. She saw the possession of Jim. She saw what would happen in Acheron. She knows all of it.

They stand around the remains of the tower. They hope Teresa is alive but Sasha says she is not. She does say that Vander’s body is still here. She says that the dark forces have collected many objects of power. They collected the ones stored here. There is only one item remaining. It is on Acheron.

Christina, still weak but grateful to be alive and rescued by Sasha and in part the others (whom distracted the creature that guarded her) is feeling down. Everything she has ever believed in has been destroyed or taken away except for Infiniti and Jim. The forces against her are growing. Jim was nearly killed. And gods- what has happened to Jean?

“We need to make a stand.” Says Sasha. She looks at Jim whom is scared. He won’t admit it. But he is scared. Vandel Boc is around and hunting him. He is part of this. The man whom many referred to as the anti-christ. He is alive and seeking him.

“We can’t give in to despair.” Christina holds onto Jim. She has lost her one mother once again. This time forever. She has yet to see Momma. She fears the Orcs have gotten her. And Infiniti is …weakening. Her life is unraveling before her.

“We can not give up.” The Captain looks at his shield. The stars and moving constellations slowly swirl. His reflect appears on it. A tear forms within his right eye.

Sasha fears it may be too late. The Champions of Infiniti may already be defeated. Long and hard quiet minutes go by. Finally she turns her back on them. She stiffens up then relaxes. She begins to walk into the debris that was once their tower. Within a few minutes time she finds the armored form of Vander. It was largely ignored as the Orcs had their way with the two women that were here. Teresa and the Eberron native. Using magic she pulls the heavy form out of the debris.

Another tear forms in the Captain’s eyes.

Sasha calls out the other forms. Jean looks at them. Dead. Dead like her. She would weep if she could.

no

The leaves rustle in the light wind.

no no no no
Clouds darken and mass. Thunder rumbles.

The Captain stands up. A new look on his face. A look full of fierce determination and fortitude.

Rain drizzles and the thunder booms.

NO

The wind swirls and weak branches bend. The rain comes down.

“NOOO!”

The rain washes over them. It removes the dirt and grime. It removes their salty tears. It removes their blood stains.

“NO! This is not how it goes down. We must fight. We must fight for Infiniti. We must fight for the billions of lives at risk. We must fight for those we care about.” The Captain looks at them all. Sasha, still with her back to them smiles. It begins. The end begins now. She continues her work.

“We must fight for those we love. We must fight for those that we lost. We must fight for those that we loved and have lost but not forgotten.”

Jim looks hard at the Captain.

“They have tried to deter us. They have tried to destroy us. They have tried to pit each of us against the other but CAN NOT GIVE IN!”

The hair on Jim’s neck rises. Something rises within him. The part of him that is a survivor. His soul.

“Vander died for us! For the millions and billions of innocent souls he did not know. Teresa died saving us. How can we turn our backs on them?”

Christina has tears mixing with her rain covered face. She feels it.

“Don’t you understand- They are afraid of us. That is why they have tried to attack us one on one.”

Jean looks at her browning fingers. She is deep in thought. Mindlessly she nods her head in agreement.

“TOGETHER. Together we can stop them! We have the ability.”

Jim stands up. Christina stands up beside him.

“take it to him”

Sasha nods with a forlorn look.

“He has been attacking us from the shadows. He is using the very foes that defeated us in the past. Together we can do this.”

Lightning seems to begin to strike everywhere in the near distance.

“We have been about the objects only. We have totally ignored his soldiers …his pawns.”

“We need to figure out who we are facing and where the objects of power are and destroy them.” Says Christina.

Light…bright light…the brightest daylight shines around them. They all look around to see what is happening.

The energy has formed a ball of pure white. A slender outline of a man steps forth. It is Sasha. She looks tired but other wise easy.

“We will need to plan.” She says.

“Between us, there is little we do not know of the multiverse.” Says Christine. A new gleam within her eyes.

“I have lead armies into war. I can lead you if you tell me what is required.”

“I have skills in gathering information and getting things.” Says Megamania.

“I have magics and the forces of nature with us.” Says Jean.

“I have a score to settle. I want it square …NOW.”

Everyone stops and turns.

Sasha smiles and steps aside. Through the bright light comes a large figure. The figures walk and manner looks familiar. Could it be?

“vander…?” is whispered by the Champions of Infiniti.

Elsewhere….. the gaunt man watches. His undead hands tap at the table in frustration and anger. He knows he has little control over his generals. If these heroes become organized ………..

Remove ads