D&D 5E Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos No Subclasses Confirmed by James Crawford

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
But the way Magic works and thinks fits with D&D well enough? Those books have been awesome so far, and this looks to carry that trend.
There are definitely valuable things in all the Magic books, but how popular they are as a whole may be a bit divisive. The philosophies of the two games are not completely compatible, but you can make it work without too much trouble.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So far because like I said before and in other threads, those were the most D&D friendly settings

Strixhaven is an all caster setting based around 5 colors that don't exist in D&D and their pairings.
The colors could exist in D&D, and they did get a write-up as an alternative to alignment in the Planeshift for either Amonkhet and/or Ixalan. Nothing about the Color Wheel as a cosmological principle wouldn't work with D&D, same as the Great Wheel. Worked fine in Ravnica, it will work fine in Strixhaven.

Bits of settings that can be tossed into other settings.
Quoted for truth. I homebrew, but I'll borrow bits of history, NPCs, cities, gods, specific races and monsters for my own world. It ends up being 50-60 percent original and the rest borrowed from many sources. I tend to buy setting books for rules (notably races, spells and cool bits) to steal.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The colors could exist in D&D, and they did get a write-up as an alternative to alignment in the Planeshift for either Amonkhet and/or Ixalan. Nothing about the Color Wheel as a cosmological principle wouldn't work with D&D, same as the Great Wheel. Worked fine in Ravnica, it will work fine in Strixhaven.

It didn't work well for Strixhaven because they literally cancelled ultra specific subclasses and are likely replacing it with feat that might have applications to more settings.

MTG and D&D don't run on the same base skeleton for lore. The more you lean to MTG, the harder the content is to poach.

Strixhaven differs in fluff and crunch enough from base D&D that making the community okay with it requires more work and alterations than WOTC is will to do.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It didn't work well for Strixhaven because they literally cancelled ultra specific subclasses and are likely replacing it with feat that might have applications to more settings.

MTG and D&D don't run on the same base skeleton for lore. The more you lean to MTG, the harder the content is to poach.

Strixhaven differs in fluff and crunch enough from base D&D that making the community okay with it requires more work and alterations than WOTC is will to do.
It will work in terms of the Colleges making sense. The Colors as philosophical templates worked well in translating Ravnica, I see no reason to suspect that Strixhaven will be any different. Lore is lore, it can be bent and molded easily enough. WotC has shown that there is no fundamental disconnect adequately in several products now.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It will work in terms of the Colleges making sense. The Colors as philosophical templates worked well in translating Ravnica, I see no reason to suspect that Strixhaven will be any different. Lore is lore, it can be bent and molded easily enough. WotC has shown that there is no fundamental disconnect adequately in several products now.

Because Ravnica starts with base fantasy stuff and THEN adds a MTG part to it.

Fantasy worlds have police, barbarians, mad mages and demon cults. So Boros, Gruul, Izzet, and Rakdos can fit.

Ain't nothing base fantasy about Witherbloom or Silverquill.

Remove ads