Stronghold: Yellow Hall (need details)

MythandLore

First Post
Alrighty, sound interesting, so it's more of a fortress then.
Like a mountain (top only?) converted into a fortress/factory?
So it's not really blending into the landscaple at all then right?
As far as scale, how many ships do you think it would have at any given time (being fixed/built/trading/defending) (I'm assuming most of them would be held on the inside)?
And does it have any major defence from attack other then "towers" and "skyships" or does that pretty much cover it?
Anything else I should think about?

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
MythandLore said:
Alrighty, sound interesting, so it's more of a fortress then.
1.Like a mountain (top only?) converted into a fortress/factory?

2.So it's not really blending into the landscaple at all then right?

3.As far as scale, how many ships do you think it would have at any given time (being fixed/built/trading/defending) (I'm assuming most of them would be held on the inside)?

4. And does it have any major defence from attack other then "towers" and "skyships" or does that pretty much cover it?

5. Anything else I should think about?

Numbered for ease of use.

1. I would say not on the summit of the mountain but built into the top near the beak. I would say that they started very close to the top and went down a few thousand feet from the top carving away into the mountain.I would say the main 'entrance' into the mountain would be able to accomodate 5-7 large airships moving in and out at once and dozens of small ships floating inside it. Again my best analogy would be (if your a star trek fan 4th or 5th movie) look at the one movie where they leave the star base above earth and they have the huge area where the ships flow in and out of a main point while many smaller ships are running around repairing the larger vessels. That would be the inside of the mounatin. As such it would have to be carved at a large area so that allot of this can be done. So the mountain would have to be rather big.

From what I gather it's a factory/R&D shop/fortress. The gnomes have a place they call home and they don't want to move so i would say that this is all run by gnomes will allot of support staff of many other races.

One other thought on this. With a large opening could the gnomes devise a door that could seal it off in times of war? A few hundred foot high door sealing off the entrance to the hangar would be a mighty feat and something to think of.

2. doubtful. I would put some dry docks on the outside for shuttlecraft to move to and fro. Supplies/visitors/etc. all don't want to have to enter the main hangar everytime. I would venture that there would be some places where there would be lookout towers, small villages around the main facility, and other little things, but I would say that this place is pretty visible if your looking for it.

3. See 1.

4. See 2. I would say gnomes would start messing with gunpowder or projecticles that involve explosions so there would be 'gun' turrents with iron golems or those machines that are developed by the lord of the blades put in place. I think this would be heavily defended on all sides of the mountain with a lil lacking on the 'backside' of it.

5. Try to draw a mountain with a long horizontal slit in it. Put towers around the base and the circle of the slit and picture 5-7 large captial skyships flowing in and out of it at once. Once you can picture that you can draw the hangar. Also, I like the idea of the doors closing shut sealing the base off care to add that to the drawing? Plant some towers surrounding the base of the cliff and maybe a village at the bottom. I don't think that everyone can live in the base at one time so most people could be shuttled up form the floor of the mountain to work there much like the monorails at disney.

The last part is something I thought of, BUT if this mountain is near the mist then that is off as the people would be dead or insane in a few minutes so location is key for this. Anyone know where to stick this?

The Burned Man

First Post
"The last part is something I thought of, BUT if this mountain is near the mist then that is off as the people would be dead or insane in a few minutes so location is key for this. Anyone know where to stick this?"

All the strongholds of the mountain were built "above" the mist...

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
The Burned Man said:
"The last part is something I thought of, BUT if this mountain is near the mist then that is off as the people would be dead or insane in a few minutes so location is key for this. Anyone know where to stick this?"

All the strongholds of the mountain were built "above" the mist...

ok nix the village bellow deal. Make the place a self enclosed facility. They all eat, sleep, grow food, build materials, etc. from within.

Unless there is a big mantu village to trade with...but that's iffy.

GreyOne

Explorer
The Mantu weren't discovered until long after the Brotherhood was formed, though it was by the crew of a crashed skyship.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
so how many gnomes live here? What do they all do? Any other races? If so how many? Where do they get their materials? Food? Supplies? Any people of importance? Guilds? Great houses? What kind of government do they use? What patrons do they worship? What patrons recognize them? What's their relations with the other patrons? Are they aloof or open about their works? What secrets does this place hold?

anyone got a rough draft on this place?

The Burned Man

First Post
"so how many gnomes live here?"

Ask GreyOne. Smaller than any of the two main strongholds. A few thousand maybe, since its essentially a large wharf.

"What do they all do? Any other races?"

Build airships/prototypes. (Think large wharfs, most ships in the world are built in a few places)

"If so how many?"

Dunno a lot, though I do think they build ships elsewhere as well. This is simply the BIGGEST wharf.

"Where do they get their materials? Food? Supplies?"

From the strongholds. The entire economical structure of the region is based on food being transported to the mountain strongholds (LP and LoB) who maintain standing armies and FLEETS which prevent the fiends from passing into the Kessel. Thats why you need the Gnomish Brotherhood in the first place to maintain the airfleets for warfare and logistics.

"Any people of importance? Guilds? Great houses?"

The Gnomish Brotherhood (think the pilot guild in DUNE)

"What kind of government do they use? What patrons do they worship? What patrons recognize them? What's their relations with the other patrons?"

Some sort of GUILD structure I guess. Ask Grey One.

As artificers LoB ("god" of Artifice"), the Pale Lord as anyone else in the World, the Mistress of Sea (domain:Air). And possibly others for the same reasons anyone else would worship a patron. (Would not openly worship Shaylay in the highlands though)...

"Are they aloof or open about their works? What secrets does this place hold?"

No, they control the market like MICROSOFT. They´ve got a monopoly on the manufacture of Halas (the material used to levitate the vessels). The patrons have no need to try and devise new ways to build new vessels as the GB do it fine enough.

As long as they concentrate on profit and trade and do not meddle in affairs with fiends they are allowed to maintain their monopoly.

Quite secretive. Ask GreyOne.

"anyone got a rough draft on this place?"

Ask Grey One.

Hope that helps, if not: Ask GreyOne...:)

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
well it does appear that grey one holds all the keys to this riddle. Do you have a rough draft write up of the GB? If not can you type up something and post it or ship it to me. I will apply the template to it and post it for review.

Remove ads