Pathfinder 1E Stuff That You Wish Paizo Had Done For Pathfinder 1E?

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
I saw a discussion titled this on Paizo's forums and wondered what people here thought. What do you wish Paizo had made for PF 1e?

Aside question: would you be interested in whatever you mention from a 3rd party, such as my company Jon Brazer Enterprises?

JeffB

Legend
For me to have any desire to continue to run PF1- It would have been an "Expert Box" to go with the Beginner Box- bringing levels up to 10-15 or so.

Jumping into the full game with all the bloat of multiple massive tomes of classes and spells and feats and...just thinking about it makes me cringe....not my thing. Somebody out in internet land did a conversion/paring down of all the core classes (and maybe some APG classes) to a BB format and complexity level- that was an awesome product, whoever they are-thank you! I had the PF1 core books, it was just too much work- or rather....work period. Games shouldn't feel like work.

PF2 took care of the mechanical things I liked in Unchained when that came out (3 action economy, skill "unlocks", a few other piddly things).

So yes, if there was an "Expert Set" or "Expert Book" to mesh with the PFBB, I'd probably buy that. Otherwise I have no real desire to purchase anything else for the system.

zztong

Explorer
I think PF1 could use more adventures, and I'd welcome something other than Paizo APs. A smaller product containing a single adventure that wasn't tied to a specific location would be handy.

I have a homebrew setting where ocean travel is important and I had trouble dealing both with Paizo's highly fantastic tendencies, historical mish-mash, plus strange and lacking ship definitions. It was bad enough that I felt I needed to cobble together my own medieval ship definitions and get away from goofy "flamboyant pirates of the 1600s" vibe Paizo promotes. I stuck to ships available up to around 1000 AD for common use, with a few select things beyond that for special use.

I think Paizo largely ignores the struggles between nations, between city-states, other than the Kingmaker AP, which I enjoyed. They're more likely to have some unimaginable evil bubble up out of nowhere, than they are to focus on the struggles of man. So, I sometimes wish somebody provided guidance related to medieval politics, espionage, mercenaries, raids, skirmishes and war.

JeffB

Legend
I think PF1 could use more adventures, and I'd welcome something other than Paizo APs. A smaller product containing a single adventure that wasn't tied to a specific location would be handy.

I agree here- at least with what I was familiar with Golarion way back when

The original 3.5 Gamemastery 32p adventures, and then the standard 32 page PF adventures were generally very good and easily adapted to most other settings/homebrew (and rules systems- which I did). I didn't like all of them, but I bought them because I wanted to support Paizo for doing them. Gradually the 32 pagers became too Golarion centric. Then came the 64 pagers which defeated the purpose of the product line really- they started to become mini-paths that tied more heavily into the intricate plots/themes of Golarion, and they became much less useful to me and I stopped buying them. I understood their (reported) business decisions for doing what they did to the module line, but that was really disappointing. And now, Like WOTC with their IP and 5E, Paizo is pushing their IP harder than ever in PF2 (and trying to brand things as very different from their D&D ancestors-monsters, races, etc)

ccs

41st lv DM
I wish that:
They had somehow been able to come up with a way to get through to waaaay to many of my fellow gamers that while they, Paizo, ARE in the business of selling you books, that you don't need to include every option published in every game you play.

Yeah, I know. That's like wishing for world peace.
But seriously, most often the same people who scream about "system bloat" are also the same people screaming for and buying every new book full of options.
And this will only repeat with PF2.
The problem is that way too many of my fellow gamers don't know how to regulate/curate their own games. They demand Paizo or Wizards or whoever to do it for them. But that's impossible. The companies only offer you the options. How much you buy, how much you use needs addressed within your own groups.

On a more practical wish:
I wish they'd do a better job of including AP specific character minis in the minis sets named for those APs.

A specific minis related wish:
I wish that they'd produced a Dancing Hut model that matched the size & look of what was featured in the art for Reign of Winter.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer

You're in luck, actually. My company has a number of highly rated, stand alone adventures for Pathfinder. Even better, they are on sale for $5 at DriveThruRPG. The sale ends in 19-ish hours from posting time so grab them now.

zztong

Explorer
You're in luck, actually. My company has a number of highly rated, stand alone adventures for Pathfinder. Even better, they are on sale for $5 at DriveThruRPG. The sale ends in 19-ish hours from posting time so grab them now.

I mentioned this, and this conversation, to a friend today. While I don't usually buy adventures (in favor of writing my own) my friends do buy them. This particular friend has bought a lot over the years and ends up loaning them to my other friends.

What he said he missed was Dungeon Magazine, and would love to have something like that again. He liked getting ~3 small adventures each issue that he could read and sometimes use. He has subscribed to Paizo APs, but since his game is sticking with PF1, he's got less interest in keeping that subscription. Plus, the APs weren't usually what he wanted. I can tell you from playing what he runs, he'll often bail on an AP after book 1 or 2 because the story goes in some bizarre direction. I asked him if he cared if a Dungeon Magazine-like product had to be printed, and that would be his preference, though a PDF magazine could work for him at a lower price. I asked if it had to be a high quality production, and he said black and white was what Dungeon Magazine typically provided him.

So anyways, I think he'd be interested in a subscription service to PF1 adventures.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I'll reprise my comment from the Paizo forums: more mechanical support for nonhuman and especially nonstandard races, including more Feats, more FCBs, and more Class Archetypes. Some kind of extra optional race-as-class supplement, with Feat support and unique Archetypes, would have been a big draw for me.

But I will also second Dungeon and Dragon magazines.

And... more stuff for Distant Worlds, more player options for aliens and aberrations.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
I mentioned this, and this conversation, to a friend today. While I don't usually buy adventures (in favor of writing my own) my friends do buy them. This particular friend has bought a lot over the years and ends up loaning them to my other friends.

Just wanted to say thank you. Word of mouth is our most reliable way of people hearing about us and becoming fans.

Remove ads