Stupid anti-magic field

Shard O'Glase

First Post
SemperJase said:
My group is having a debate about the anti-magic field.

A 12th level PC cast the anti-magic field. An 18th level cleric then cast Storm of Vengeance. In the 2nd round, acid rain starts falling. I ruled that the acid becomes real and is not stopped by the field. I reasoned that the field could not stop a rock being dropped on the PC, then real acid should not be stopped.

Here is the question. Would the lightning generated by the storm in a later round be stopped by the field?

Suppose the cleric cast Earthquake instead. Would the field stop the earthquake in its area of effect?

Would lightning from a wand of lightning be stopped?

I appreciate any feedback.

I'd say all the storm effects are stopped. Its magical acid, magical lightning, magical wind etc. And yes earthquake would be supressed in its area of effect. SR is a decent guide, but not perfect and earthquake is a good example IMO. SR doesn't work vs earthquake because the ground is targeted and the effects are incidental to the target. The target isn't being magically banished into the ground, the ground split open and he fell in. Now then with anti magic field the entire area magic just isn't working so the magical effect making the earth move in that area is suppressed.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
SemperJase said:
I would say the rock cannot move through the antimagic field. The magic moving it would be suppressed. The magic can move the rock OVER the field though. The AMF would not be able to suppress the Telekinesis. The person moving the rock could then end the Telekinesis. Even though the spell that moved the rock was a spell with duration, the rock still becomes a falling object that the AMF could not stop.

In another case, I would say the AMF stops a lightning bolt from a wand.

My question would be, does Storm of Vengeance create "magical" or "real" lightning.

I'd say it would depend on how the rock was moved. A sudden thrust variaiton of telekinesis I'd say the rock keeps moving, a sustained force version the rock stops. The difference being in the sudden thrust version I see it as all the force is used where the target object starts its an instaneous effect and so the movement becomes nonmagical once it starts. Sustained force variant the propulsion starts and continues to be magical from start to finish so it would cut out once it hit the field.

And to answer your quesiton since SR does apply it clearly is a magical effect. In some cases where spell resistance doesn't apply its still a magical effect which may or may not be suppressed. Forcecage no SR but clearly a magical effect. Whether you'd make it immune like wall of force or not is up to you, makes sense that it would but there are only specific examples not spells like wall of force listed as the exceptions.(atleast as Greyhawk_DM quoted, and I'm too lazy to check to see if its in 3.5 so I'll accept)

Tar Palantir

First Post
Antimagic Field allows exceptions for Wall of Force, Forcecage, Prismatic Sphere and all conjuration spells with an instantaneous duration. Storm of Vengeance is none of these. Furthermore, it has the summoning subtype, and Antimagic Field clearly states that it suppresses summoned creatures; summoned objects would be no different. Earthquake would be blocked in the area of the field, as would a wand of lightning bolt. Wall of Stone, Wall of Iron, and the Orb line of spells would not be.

the spell's text from the SRD (bolded for emphasis):
Antimagic Field

Abjuration

Level: Clr 8, Magic 6, Protection 6, Sor/Wiz 6 Components: V, S, M/DF Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: 10 ft. Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation, centered on you Duration: 10 min./level (D) Saving Throw: None Spell Resistance: See text An invisible barrier surrounds you and moves with you. The space within this barrier is impervious to most magical effects, including spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. Likewise, it prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines.
An antimagic field suppresses any spell or magical effect used within, brought into, or cast into the area, but does not dispel it. Time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell’s duration.
Summoned creatures of any type and incorporeal undead wink out if they enter an antimagic field. They reappear in the same spot once the field goes away. Time spent winked out counts normally against the duration of the conjuration that is maintaining the creature. If you cast antimagic field in an area occupied by a summoned creature that has spell resistance, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against the creature’s spell resistance to make it wink out. (The effects of instantaneous conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.)
A normal creature can enter the area, as can normal missiles. Furthermore, while a magic sword does not function magically within the area, it is still a sword (and a masterwork sword at that). The spell has no effect on golems and other constructs that are imbued with magic during their creation process and are thereafter self-supporting (unless they have been summoned, in which case they are treated like any other summoned creatures). Elementals, corporeal undead, and outsiders are likewise unaffected unless summoned. These creatures’ spell-like or supernatural abilities, however, may be temporarily nullified by the field. Dispel magic does not remove the field, though Mage's Disjunction might.
Two or more antimagic fields sharing any of the same space have no effect on each other. Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field (see the individual spell descriptions). Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.
Should a creature be larger than the area enclosed by the barrier, any part of it that lies outside the barrier is unaffected by the field.
Arcane Material Component

A pinch of powdered iron or iron filings.

Remove ads