Stupid AoO question

GodPhoenix

First Post
Hey, this is a dumb question...we've been playing Cthluhu for a while (which doesn't have AoO) but we had one session of DND recently and this came up.

Let's say your character is running right past a medium sized enemy with 5 foot reach and combat reflexes. Does the enemy get 3 AoO (for leaving 3 threatened squares while running by) or just one?

Now let's say your character is facing a bigger enemy with 15 foot reach. Would you suffer one AoO if you ran up to him, or two?

My guess was 3 for the first question and 2 for the second...but my memory is rusty and I didn't have a book handy.

Thx!

Pinotage

Explorer
Just one in both cases. Moving through a threatened space counts as one opportunity, not several.

From the SRD:

Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.

Pinotage

Marimmar

First Post
The answers are 1 and 1.

A single action only results in one AoO. You could do several actions that cause AoOs and be attacked for each of it but running around an enemy in circles is just one action and will not result in more than one attack.

~Marimmar

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Marimmar said:
A single action only results in one AoO. You could do several actions that cause AoOs and be attacked for each of it but running around an enemy in circles is just one action and will not result in more than one attack.

Not exactly.

Someone could take two move actions (or even three, if they have an ability allowing an extra action in a round) to move in circles around an enemy, and that's only one opportunity, even though each of the two (or three) actions is one that could provoke by itself.

On the other hand, someone with Hold the Line and Karmic Strike (and Combat Reflexes) might gain two opportunities when an opponent takes a single Charge action.

-Hyp.

Remove ads