Stupid question

Ashtagon

Adventurer
If it is co-located with an illusory wall, they'd notice something odd about the wall very quickly, as it would stop as soon as their ghost touch (or whatever) item touches the wall, but not as soon as their leading foot/hand reaches the wall.

Greenfield

Adventurer
If it is co-located with an illusory wall, they'd notice something odd about the wall very quickly, as it would stop as soon as their ghost touch (or whatever) item touches the wall, but not as soon as their leading foot/hand reaches the wall.
That brings up another topic, and maybe it deserves its own thread.

Many people play that illusions disappear as soon as someone touches them.

As far as I know, that isn't actually the rule.

It used to be that an illusion would be dispelled if it failed to react appropriately to physical contact. That was explicitly the rule in 1st/2nd Ed. But what's the appropriate reaction for a wall that you touch? To my way of thinking, if it "reacts" at all, it's inappropriate. It should just stand there and be a wall.

I think this deserves its own topic. Maybe I'll start such a thread.

Dandu

First Post
You can't cast Wall of Stone on the Ethereal Plane, I thought? It requires you to anchor it to existing stone, which doesn't exist there?

FEADIN

Explorer
It's very fun but I think it won't work, there are tons of matter in the ethereal that don't hamper moves on the material you'd just create an ethereal wall of stone stopping ethereal creature because as said above spells don't cross the planes......unless spacified of course.

kitcik

Adventurer
It's very fun but I think it won't work, there are tons of matter in the ethereal that don't hamper moves on the material.

SRD said:
The Ethereal Plane is mostly empty of structures and impediments.

you'd just create an ethereal wall of stone stopping ethereal creature because as said above spells don't cross the planes......unless spacified of course.

Once it's cast, it's just a wall. It's not a spell any more. Therefore, it can effect golems, among other things.

I'm not saying the whole ethereal thing works, but I don't buy your arguments against it.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Maybe I'm not thinking clearly here, or maybe I didn't explain it very well.

The wall won't stop normal objects or creatures. Won't stop Golems or go-karts, arrows or aardvarks.

What it will block is Force effects and Ghost Touch items.

So anyone with Mage Armor up, or wearing Bracers of Armor (which uses the same spell) will have a problem. The wall doesn't affect the Material plane, the Force effects and Ghost touch items affect things on the Ethereal, where the wall is.

Now, granted, the wall won't be anchored to anything relative to the Material plane, and that may be the downfall of the idea. But until something comes along with enough force to move it...

kitcik

Adventurer
I understand what you're saying and while it seems hokey I haven't seen anything to disprove it being ok.

I only mentioned golems because they are unaffected by spells yet are affected by spell effects, so I was analogizing that while spells don't cross between planes, there is no reason that spell effects can't.

Remove ads