• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Subclasses, Prestige Classes, and Race

Joshy

Explorer
Hello I'm looking for ideas for some new racial subclasses.
So far I have:
Halfling - Leprechaun
Changeling - Doppelganger
Dragonborn - ??Halfdragon??

They don't have to be monstrous but those were the first to pop into my head.
I'm looking for something that is universal and can be taken by any class type.

Human - Chosen One, a subclass with abilities that mimic basic "chosen one" tropes
Elf - Larethinite, a shape changer subclass following in Corellon's footsteps
Aasimar/Tiefling - Infused, pretty much become more angelic/demonic as you level

Joshy

Explorer
Human - Chosen One, a subclass with abilities that mimic basic "chosen one" tropes
Elf - Larethinite, a shape changer subclass following in Corellon's footsteps
Aasimar/Tiefling - Infused, pretty much become more angelic/demonic as you level
Awesome thanks!
The infused works really well for me as well because my groups don't have aasimars or tieflings, we instead have half-outsiders.

Where does larethinite come from?

Joshy

Explorer
Based on Corellon Larethian. It's the elven creator god in the Forgotten Realms (and maybe other places). Their whole thing is being able to change form. Plants, animals, rocks, trees, male, female, whatever.
That is sooo much better than a doppelganger. I love it, now to just figure out a balanced way to do it.

Joshy

Explorer
Maybe I should go with something basic for all of them to start and aim for a matching divinity as the final theme ability?
Balancing mechanics takes just a bit of time but balancing themes... That may just be the second hardest thing to do when making homebrew. Oh course the hardest beats all others by a land slide. Damn if I hate naming things.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Half Orc - (Half?) Oni: mostly depicted as physically strong horned humanoids who come in odd colours, some associations with fire or storms
Tiefling - specterites(is that a good name for them? ‘Mediums’ isn’t something that sounds like a race should be called): like the Tiefling but with spirits and ghosts themes replacing the demonic influences of their bloodlines

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Yuan-ti - Serpentine Savant, a subclass that allows the Yuan-ti to follow the progression of Pureblood, Malison, Abomination, and Anathema.
Shifter - Moon Blessed, a subclass that awakens a Shifters dormant Lycanthrope blood and allows them to become more like a were-beast.
Dragonborn - Scion of Io, a subclass that allows the Dragonborn to become even more draconic, giving them natural weapons, flight, frightening presence and magic typical of their draconic ancestry.

Joshy

Explorer
Yuan-ti - Serpentine Savant, a subclass that allows the Yuan-ti to follow the progression of Pureblood, Malison, Abomination, and Anathema.
Shifter - Moon Blessed, a subclass that awakens a Shifters dormant Lycanthrope blood and allows them to become more like a were-beast.
Dragonborn - Scion of Io, a subclass that allows the Dragonborn to become even more draconic, giving them natural weapons, flight, frightening presence and magic typical of their draconic ancestry.
Scion of Io instead of Bahamut?

I might be wrong or the lore is different. I haven't read about dragonborn in a really long time but from what I recall. To become a dragonborn you just need to do a ritual right? Make a large egg like shell out of dragon scales fast for three days inside while praying to Bahamut and when you emerge you become a dragonborn with one of three aspects Heart, Mind, or Wings.

Of course I learned this a really long time ago so maybe my information is outdated.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Scion of Io instead of Bahamut?

I might be wrong or the lore is different. I haven't read about dragonborn in a really long time but from what I recall. To become a dragonborn you just need to do a ritual right? Make a large egg like shell out of dragon scales fast for three days inside while praying to Bahamut and when you emerge you become a dragonborn with one of three aspects Heart, Mind, or Wings.

Of course I learned this a really long time ago so maybe my information is outdated.
That was back in 3rd edition where the Dragonborn was less of a standard player race and more of a special ritual transformation.

In 4e and 5e one of their creation myth (and the one the Dragonborns themselves tend to believe) was connected to Io, with the race claiming to come from the spilled blood of Io when he was slain by a primordial (which is also connected to one of the origin stories for Tiamat and Bahamut where they sprang up from Io’s sundered halves).

Plus Dragonborn can have their ancestry from Chromatic, Gem, or Metallic dragons. So being only connected to Bahamut wouldn’t work.

Remove ads