Level 3: 2 more spells knows, extra 1st level slot

rest as normal.

Or level 1:
Fighting style: eldritch bond
2 cantrips, weapon bond.
Rest as normal.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
In my ideal, there are optional zero levels for them.

That way they have the option they want without invalidating 10% of the game for me.
So only ~5%

Or maybe they should raise level cap to 22. Would that work for you?

EDIT: Or….if they raised the cap to 40 you would only be missing out on 5%, about the same as your idea for a level 0.

Then again, if we factor in how long it takes to gain levels, 1&2 are about 0.05% of the game.

Unless we are actually measuring likely levels actually played, in which case it’s more like 25%.

Last edited:

clearstream

(He, Him)
CHARACTER ADVANCEMENT TABLE
LEVELPROFEATURETIER
0+1RaceCOMMONER (LEVEL 0)
0+1Race
0+1Ability Scores
0+1Background
1+2Simple CombatSTUDENT (HERO/BASIC)
1+2Subclass
1+2Class
1+2Class Saves
1+2Class
2+2Subclass
3+2Class
4+2FeatPROFESSIONAL (HERO/EXPERT)
5+3Class
6+3Subclass
7+3Class
8+3FeatMASTER (PARAGON/CHAMPION)
9+4Class
10+4Subclass
11+4Class
12+4FeatGRANDMASTER (PARAGON/MASTER)
13+5Class
14+5Subclass
15+5Class
16+5FeatLEGEND (EPIC/IMMORTAL)
17+6Class
18+6Subclass
19+6Feat
20+6BoonEPIC (EPIC/IMMORTAL)
(21)+7Boon
(22)+7Boon
(23)+7Boon
(24)+7Boon
I like this table (other than our disagreement about where subclass should start.) I'd designed a 0th-level for my campaign and it is very similar to what you have. You need to include the hit die however (add a column.) For instance, analyse Barbarian excluding the hit die... you'll notice that some of Barb's feats are invested in that d12 (based on toughness, we can call each step up from 1d6 a half-feat.)

Yaarel

He Mage
I like this table (other than our disagreement about where subclass should start.) I'd designed a 0th-level for my campaign and it is very similar to what you have. You need to include the hit die however (add a column.) For instance, analyse Barbarian excluding the hit die... you'll notice that some of Barb's feats are invested in that d12 (based on toughness, we can call each step up from 1d6 a half-feat.)
In the Character Advancement table, the hit die at level 0 is d6, and this hit die generally represents Humanoid noncombatants.

At level 1, the Simple Combat level improves the hit die to d8. (Except for the Wizard class that swaps out the Simple Combat for magic features.) This d8 is typical for any Humanoids that player characters encounter in combat encounters.

Also at level 1 are two "levels" to further detail the class features. Some classes, like Fighter, Paladin, and Ranger, will use part of one of these class features to improve the hit die from d8 to d10. The Barbarian class will actually use a full class feature to improve the hit die from d8 to d12.

There doesnt need to be a column for the hit die because whatever the hit die is is established during level 1. From then on up, it is always that hit die for every level (unless multiclassing).

Remove ads