• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Suggest for Adventures to Place on Isle of Dread

silentbob1

Villager
Hello,

I will be running Isle of Dread for my 5e group.

It is a big island and I want to place some other adventures on the island or offshore. What would you suggest? They can be from any edition.

Libramarian

Adventurer
I replaced the central plateau with Dwellers of the Forbidden City, and then had Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan inside that. It worked very well, even though the native guide I was using for foreshadowing got eaten by crocodiles right at the beginning.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I replaced the central plateau with Dwellers of the Forbidden City, and then had Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan inside that. It worked very well, even though the native guide I was using for foreshadowing got eaten by crocodiles right at the beginning.
This. Works really well.

You could also go with The Caverns of Thracia in the Forbidden City.

aco175

Legend
There was the whole series of adventures in Dragon Magazine on this. It had Demogorgon and shadow pearls in it. Lots of smaller adventures on the island and back and forth to the mainland. Someone will tell you what the arc is named, forgot myself.

guachi

Hero
In before Dwellers of the Forbidden City (my favorite choice) and Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan.

Oh... of course someone beat me to it!

Forbidden City is fun and level appropriate.

Zardnaar

Legend
There was the whole series of adventures in Dragon Magazine on this. It had Demogorgon and shadow pearls in it. Lots of smaller adventures on the island and back and forth to the mainland. Someone will tell you what the arc is named, forgot myself.

Savage Tide AP.

Last edited:

hastur_nz

First Post
I ran the Savage Tide AP as a 4e adventure (it was written for 3.5). From memory, there were a few adventures set on the Isle of Dread (Dungeon 142-145?), starting from a rough landing, to a full-on expedition into the central plateau and into the depths of the earth therein to fight Kopru etc. It was basically set in a 'future state', compared to the original X1 adventure (I've got a copy from the '80s), although you could easily strip out the 'Savage Tide Pirates' bits, and just use the interior adventure sites. About the only part it didn't cover much, was the far north of the island; I added Dragon Turtle in for that bit, but it mostly never got used.

Certainly the relevant bits of the Savage Tide AP are a good way of fleshing out parts of X1; the whole adventure path was pretty cool, and from memory the Isle of Dread pieces were very good. In fact, from my distant memory, the back-plot of the Pirates was also very good and even if you don't play Savage Tide in full, it's a good addition you might enjoy. For example in my game there was a very memorable set-piece at the end, just before my group left the Isle, where the port was invaded by pirates; the PC's had to help defend the place, which was pretty epic.

Lastly, there was also a stand-alone adventure published in Dragon Magazine, maybe a couple of years before Savage Tide? It started with the PC's being ship-wrecked on the Isle, and having to interact with some villagers and their Zombie Master, help them out to survive, etc. I ran it as a one-off, PC's around level 3 or 4, and the players really enjoyed it. I think it was in Dungeon 114, called Torrents of Dread.

darjr

I crit!
Or go a different route. Put the Barrier Peaks in the volcano with a way into the Warden out in deep space.

Could even have them wander onto the jungle level of the Warden somehow.

Remove ads