Suggest to me a cool monster for this encounter

FXR

Explorer
My 4 PCs are 4th level (barbarian, fighter, ranger and fighter/rogue) with no magic and no magic weapons. They have a 2nd level paladin as a henchwoman. In the next session, if everything runs as expected, they are going to reach a major city.

I'm planning to give them the opportunity for a side-quest, but I'm looking for your suggestions as to which monster should be appropriate.

The PCs will stay at an inn. At some point, a stranger will engage one PC in a game of cards. After willingly losing a few games, the stranger will offer a PC to play a last game. The ante will be a treasure map he claimed he found a few months ago.

Of course, this treasure map is a clever forgery. It has been part of the modus operandi of a monster who uses it to bait greedy mortals to come to his lair, kill or otherwise dispose of them, and put the map back in circulation, where it will find itself in the hands of another greedy mortal in several months or years.

I'm wondering what kind of monsters would pull such a scheme. At first, I tought of a vampire, but such a creature is much too strong for my PCs. Do you have a suggestion?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The trickery angle suggests a hag, probably a green hag that is part of a coven and has some minions in or around the cave it can call upon if a battle breaks out.

MarkB

Legend
The NPC himself needn't necessarily be the monster. A scenario I'm envisioning is something like an Otyugh in the sewers. An NPC who has spellcasting and access to lesser restoration, or who has immunity to diseases, has found a way to befriend or control the creature. He convinces adventurers that there's a lost treasure hoard into the sewers, tempts them down there to get killed and eaten, then after the process is finished he fishes out their gold, jewels and magic items from the detritus.

Voort

Explorer
I’d make it a hag, some night hag or annis hag that enjoys toying with their victims. Your PCs would be at a serious disadvantage without magic weapons, so maybe throw in some way to use fire or cold iron once they realize what they’re up against.

It could be the minion of an evil dragon. A dragon who then eats any would-be adventurers that seek out the treasure, and adds their valuables to his hoard.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Devil Swine, I’ve seen a homebrew that looked good on D&D beyond.

IIRC it was waaaaaay back in the Expert from BECMI.

and it’s fun to say.

Remove ads