• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestion on a mount for a Dwarf Paladin?

Tetsubo

First Post
Samuel Leming said:
Dire Boars have been a traditional dwarven mount in some games.

Matches the personality of many dwarven PCs too... :p

Sam

I'll second this. I had an entire unit of Boar riding Dwarves in a 2E FR campaign...

tetsujin28

First Post
Just use a heavy warhorse. Being medium, a dwarf suffers no penalties, unlike a gnome or halfling. Dwarves are actually too big to ride warponies or dogs. But since you're in the Underdark...I dunno. I don't really know what kind of creatures there are.

Thanee

First Post
A Dire Badger might work well, too. Even though that's more gnomish.

A Dire Wolverine, given the climate, would be quite fitting as well.

Bye
Thanee

Endur

First Post
My Dwarven Paladin rides a Dire Wolf.

Reasons:
1) Dire Wolves are listed in the DMG as an alternative paladin mount (only delays special mount abilities by one level)
2) Dire Wolves, unlike horses, can easily go down onto their belly to let the dwarf get on the saddle
3) Dire Wolves are incredibly strong (str 25+) and can easily carry a heavily armored dwarf as a light load without being slowed down
4) Dire Wolves have fur and can deal with cold mountainous terrain
5) Dire Wolves have more hit points than horses and are more durable and they can trip enemies
6) Its pretty common for my dwarf and wolf to fight while dismounted ... i.e. the Dire Wolf is almost an animal companion friend and not really a mount in battle.

SteelDraco

First Post
Thanee said:
A Dire Wolverine, given the climate, would be quite fitting as well.
I'm not really sure I'd ride a wolverine into combat, given the fact that once they take damage, you won't have the option of retreating or switching opponents, given their frenzy ability. It'd be like riding on the back of your own little Frenzied Berserker.

Dwarven cavalry in my games has always been bears or boars. Honestly, though, I don't see a lot of place for cavalry or mounts in an Underdark-based game. Similarly, when I was playing a paladin in a city-based game, I switched out my mount for a bonus exalted feat.

Dark Jezter

First Post
In The Legacy by R.A. Salvatore, the dwarves of Mithril Hall battle against a drow raiding party in the underdark, and the dwarves employ boar-mounted cavalry in their tactics.

So dire boars do make a good dwarven mount for the Underdark. :)

kenobi65

First Post
Samuel Leming said:
Dire Boars have been a traditional dwarven mount in some games.

Matches the personality of many dwarven PCs too... :p

I played in the 2001 D&D Open at GenCon, and one of the PCs was a dwarven paladin. He had a dire boar mount...and that dire boar was, himself, a PC. That was one good pig. :D

I've always liike dwarves on giant bats. I have a whole tribe of them in one of my homebrews. But that probably won't work well in an underdark campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads