Suggestions for Inspirational D&D Comics/Graphic Novels

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
I want to share the stories that originally inspired Dungeons & Dragons (see Appendix N: Inspirational and Educational Reading in the 1e AD&D DMG) with my current players. However, they have very busy schedules and not much time to read.

Since they are comic book fans, I'm trying to put together a syllabus graphic novels based on the original inspirational material.

I have the excellent Fafhrd & The Grey Mouser graphic novel as well as most of the current Conan comics, but that's about it.

I'm looking for comics based on the stories referenced here (http://www.geocities.com/rgfdfaq/sources.html) as well the best stories from various mythologies and faerie tales.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
1) Classic Marvel Conan and Red Sonja comics
2) Elfquest (the ones written by the Pinis)
3) Castle Waiting
4) Artesia
5) Asterix

More later when I eyeball my shelves full of graphic novels.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The Hobbit graphic novel is excellent.

Millar's Trade papback List is the best list I know of.

Both the classic Conan series from the 70's and the moden Conan comics are collected as a series of trade paperbacks; they adapt Howard's stories, sometimes very freely, and provide original adventures as well. For the moden Conan series, all of the mini-series are also collected. I've heard that the classic black and white Sword of Conan adventures will also be collected in the future. Both the classic and new Red Sonja comics are also collected.

Chaykin and Mignola's Fahfrd and Grey Mouser has been released recently.

The first Cerebus volume is great inspirational material and an extremely funny send-up of every classic fantasy character you can name.

Scion is a good fantasy with modernesque overtones.

Meridian is a great fantasy with very Eberron-like vibes.

If you can find them, the various Mercenary graphic novels by Segrelles are a must for gritty, early D&D-ish fantasy.

Fiest's Magician

The Hellboy graphic novels are rich in D&D inspiration as well.

Forgotten Realms and Drizzt graphic novels from Devil's Due.

rowport

First Post
WayneLigonBoth the [URL=http://tplist.millarworld.net/conan.html said:
classic Conan series from the 70's and the moden Conan comics [/URL] are collected as a series of trade paperbacks; they adapt Howard's stories, sometimes very freely, and provide original adventures as well. For the moden Conan series, all of the mini-series are also collected. I've heard that the classic black and white Sword of Conan adventures will also be collected in the future. Both the classic and new Red Sonja comics are also collected.
Let me second Wayne's suggestion here. The Marvel Conan series was an absolute highpoint of 70s comics in general, with fantastic art by John Buscema and Ernie Chan, but especially so because Roy Thomas kept the writing tone so consistently true to Howard's source material. Although it is derivative work, it is still very well done. The stories hold up tremendously well, too; I liked them 30 years ago because I liked the Big Guys With Swords (heh), but now I appreciate the subtle storytelling.

For instance, in the most recent volume Conan and his allies are trying to sneak into a city planning to use both of his "African" (not sure of the Hyborian Age name!) allies to bluff in as part of the city's mercenary army. One comments to the other that he looks nothing like the mercenaries, and the other answers, "most white men do not notice differences beyond darker skin." That is some clever social commentary, still relevant, that works within the story. Great writing! Along the same lines, enhanced by the modern printing, computer coloring offers lots more tricks than the original printings; in the TPBs the "Africans" and the "Egyptians" (Stygians) do not have the same skin tone, as they certainly should not. It improves the story IMO.

Thomas' forewards in the collected TPBs are great, too-- they give you a sense of his thinking at the time.

I have bought the whole TPB series even though I own many of the comics. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Remove ads