D&D 3E/3.5 Suggestions to fix the Sorcerer skill list (3.5e)

dave_o

Explorer
I wuv me some Sorcerers. Wuv 'em, wuv 'em.

I use 'em as a straight class.

I use 'em as a "template" to give another class some arcane ability.

I use 'em - as soap.

I love 'em!

But why, oh why, did they skill list get POOPED UPON WITHOUT IMPUNITY in 3.5e? They're supposed to be so Charismatic that they can cast spells based on it, but they only get one Cha based skill?

And they get, like, seven class skills, anyway?

That, coupled with the metamagic doom, and the lack of Haste makes for a sad sorcerer.

How do you fine people suggest I fix this?

Urbannen

First Post
By giving them a class feature that allows them to add one cross-class skill of their choose to their list of sorcerer class skills.

Either that or just allow them to choose any three class skills in addition to Craft, Profession, and Concentration. If sorcerers truly do not require training in order to learn how to cast spells, there is no reason why every sorcerer would necessarily know anything about Spellcraft or Knowledge (arcana).

Sinistar

D6 hit die and 4 skill points a level. I would also give them some actual skills.
I would probably give them the Druid BAB and maybe (maybe) a bonus feat or two.
But that is just because I can't imagine how it is balanced otherwise...

Technik4

First Post
I think a way to solve both problems (to an extent) is as such.

At the time of character creation, a sorceror may add any 2 skills with Charisma as a prime ability to her class list; these are always considered class skills.

Then give them 1 OR the other of the following:

-4 skill points per sorceror level.

-At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th a sorceror gains a bonus feat. This feat may be Skill Focus or any +2/+2 skill feat as well as Spell Thematics or Eschew Materials.

I would NOT give them a d6 HD or a Medium BAB.

Technik

paulewaug

well regarding the skill list you can, of course, always house rule them a different or expanded list of class skills,.
or-
maybe even go so far as to given them the same skill access as an "Expert"- choose any (or maybe "almost any" at your whim)
10 skills to be class skills.

For my own house rules I allow the Sorcerer to gain Eschew Materials as a bonus feat at 1st level.

I was thinking about giving the thematics feat as a bonus feat later also,

Personally I am not going with the d6 HD either, becuse I plan on running a Arcana Unearhted game later and the more I can make it look cool the easier I can get the players to want to play! ;)

Last edited:

Thresher

First Post
Do what everyone else who plays a class with bugger all skill points does, stick some stats in intelligence.
If your going to give 2 extra skill points to a class that spends most of its days contemplating how pretty he/she is and picking up at the local, then you might want to give everyone else another 2 across the board.

Psiblade

First Post
My home game allows sorcerers to have Use Magic Device as a class skill. Andy Collins even suggested it on the WOTC boards.

-Psiblade

Note that this game is balanced towards dungeoning, in more roleplaying oriented Wheel Of Time every class gets at least 4 skill points per level, and I like it. Another interesting idea is to allow 2 background skills as class skills at character creation.

Remove ads