• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summoned monster with a conscience

Fleetwood

First Post
Recently I had a wizard summon an Archon via a Monster Summoning IX. He had it trounce some bad guys, but then he wanted it to kill some captured opponents who couldn't defend themselves. I ruled the Archon, being the embodiment of goodness, could refuse such an order. The wizard seemed bent out of shape.
Can a summoned monster, if intellegent, refuse an order contrary to its alignment?

hong

WotC's bitch
It's up to the DM. Clearly there must be some sort of mind-influencing effect going on, or summoned creatures that have a hostile alignment to the caster could attack them immediately. This doesn't usually happen in most games. Whether this extends to any more active form of mind control or compulsion isn't touched on by the rules.

jollyninja

First Post
the wording of the spell leads me to believe no, it could not resist. however, there could be some serious ramifications to corrupting an archon, like other archons getting verry angry which is never good, it might also rouse the anger of higher ups within the goodly community of the planes. in stead of fighting fiends, you might end up taking on a solar, which means you will kill the party. he he.

however if you ruled that it was possible, i would have the archon roll a will save vs the spell level of the spell used to summon it. if it failed, i would have it behave as directed. if it made it, there is nothing that would piss an archon off more then someony trying to make it kill helpless creatures, clearly it would either turn on the wizard or simply do nothing.

Last edited:

Remove ads