D&D 4E Summons in 4e?

Jack99

Adventurer
So, since quite a few have the pdf's or the books w/o NDA.

What is the scoop on summoning? Is it a ritual? a power? what classes can do it? Is it even in at all?

giev info!

Pinotage

Explorer
Tuft said:
No summoning, if you don't consider things like Phantom Steed.

That sucks. I like summoners. I'm hoping they address this in PHB II when druids get done. Not even a summoning ritual? Nothing at all?

Pinotage

malraux

First Post
Jack99 said:
Surely someone must know by now
Based on the perusal when a playtester brought the PHB to an Escape from Sembia demo, I did not see anything in it about summoning. Its possible its in the MM or DMG, but I'd suspect that a summoner caster will be created for a later work. Wizards as the 4e class are now mostly focused on being the blaster mage, rather than the diversity of options available in previous editions.

Antioch

First Post
There are powers that summon objects or creatures, but they dont function as entirely unique creatures. The Bigby spells, for example, require you to use your own actions to move them about.
Astral Defenders (cleric attack 9) creates a pair of soldiers that make opportunity attacks only, and can move if you use a move action of your own to move them about.
Knights of Unyielding Valor (cleric utility 10) creatures four soldiers that cannot attack or be hurt, but serve as cover and block enemy movement. You can move any or all of them by using your own move action.
Knight of Glory (cleric attack 19) creates a soldier that attacks if you burn a minor action, and moves if you burn a move action.
Angel of the Eleven Winds (cleric utility 22) creates an angel that grants an ally fly 8, and you can change the target as a minor action. It otherwise doesnt move at all and cannot be hurt.
Spirit of Health (cleric utility 22) conjures a spirit that allows you to use healing surges as a minor action if you are nearby or in the same spot.

Those are the ones that I saw in the cleric-only list (didnt get into paragon paths). This is mainly how I expect summons to work, requiring that you use your own actions to direct them in some fashion. This is all good stuff to know since I want to create a class that focuses primarily on summons.

Kesh

First Post
I would suspect that this is covered in the DMG, as such a ritual could be game-breaking in certain campaigns.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
All the summoning comes from powers with the Conjuration keyword.

Clerics are the first to get one, with a 1st level daily to summon a little floating wisp of spite that moves slowly and attacks adjacent foes.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads