• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sunlight in Barovia vs Sunlight Sensitivity

Staffan

Legend
The two vulnerabilities are completely different. One is just that sunlight in particular hurts vampires. The other is that bright light, like sunlight affects drow. It's called sunlight sensitivity, but it's not limited to sunlight, so Barovia should affect them.

Except that the drow feature specifically calls out sunlight, not bright light. If they meant bright light, they would have said so. There are several monsters using either as their trigger - kobolds also have sensitivity to sunlight in particular, while shadow demons are hampered by any bright light - so the designers do differentiate the two.

Mercule

Adventurer
I don't have CoS yet, but this is the first thing I've heard about the module that I don't like. At all.

For all his power, all his control over the land, all the minor vampire weaknesses he didn't share, Strahd has always had to slumber during the day and had to fear being caught out in the sun without shelter nearby. For that to suddenly no longer be a concern for him feels... Cheap. It cheapens him, it cheapens his backstory, it cheapens the vampire legend.

I know it's a minor detail, and I'm sure I'll still enjoy the adventure, but... No, sir, not a fan. :(
That was my first reaction, as well. But, in the original Dracula novel, the eponymous Count does not burst into flame in the sun. It's implied that he's weaker and hates it, but he's still free to roam during the day. I could easily read the text to encourage that sort of play. Prefer the night, but daylight isn't game over.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Except that the drow feature specifically calls out sunlight, not bright light. If they meant bright light, they would have said so. There are several monsters using either as their trigger - kobolds also have sensitivity to sunlight in particular, while shadow demons are hampered by any bright light - so the designers do differentiate the two.

Meh. Another nonsensical change to a monster for 5e. I'm going to continue with the real drow vulnerability. Here's the 3e version that is correct for the race. Changing it to sunlight and ignoring other bright lights is fairly absurd.

Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds drow for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.

Vampires are not vulnerable to bright lights and never have been. Their vulnerability has always been to sunlight. Something about the quality of the sun specifically is what harms them. Drow have from the get go been vulnerable to bright light, which makes sense because it's due to them living in darkness. It's utter nonsense to limit it to sunlight.

Mercule

Adventurer
No, no, no. It equals Pacific Northwest sunlight, which means that Strahd and his vampire minions........sparkle.......when they go out in the day time. ;)
Yes! This is the perfect leverage for my group. I'm going to threaten to change my descriptions appropriately, if they start getting too goofy.

Mercule

Adventurer
Vampires are not vulnerable to bright lights and never have been. Their vulnerability has always been to sunlight. Something about the quality of the sun specifically is what harms them.
It's because of the metaphorical ties between sunlight and purity/holiness. The vampire is a damned human, therefore, the holy truth burns them and cleanses the world. This is why shows/books/movies that try to explain it with science immediately lose me. I actually find the "hit 'em with a UV flashlight" to be about as bad as sparkly vamps. If you don't like the Christian take, at least keep the mysticism. Otherwise, just borrow from legends that don't have incendiary vampires (i.e. Stoker's). D&D Clerics get a bye from me because they're at least summoning holy light. I'd be less sanguine about a Wizard doing it.

Remove ads