D&D 5E Sunlight in Barovia vs Sunlight Sensitivity

Staffan

Legend
While reading through my copy Curse of Strahd. The section on Sunlight in Barovia got me thinking. Here is the same text from the Adventures League Dungeon Master's guide version 4.0:

"Barovian daylight is bright light, yet it isn’t considered sunlight for the purpose of effects and vulnerabilities, such as a vampire’s, tied to sunlight."

Based on this text I'm tempted to let Dark Elf and Gray Dwarf PCs not have the negative effects of sunlight sensitivity while in Barovia. On the one hand I'm of the opinion that if it's not broke don't fix it. On the other hand it might make this adventure a little more memorable.

Thoughts and opinions?

I think, at least with regard to drow, it's fairly clear. Drow are specifically sensitive to sunlight, and the light of day in Barovia apparently isn't. Something like a Shadow Demon, which is sensitive to bright light, would still be affected.

Mirtek

Hero
Now I wonder whether there are also special rules for bringing daylight item, like a certain infamous sunblade that seems to come standard-issue with every AL paladin (oh would it be that it's only paladins).

No, the suggestion to not do it won't stop folks from just jumping into CoS with the T2 adventures after equiping themselves prior to that.

Probably some writer thought it would keep players from getting complacent during the day.

I always preferred the rule about Ravenloft nights, somehow, lasting twice as long as the days.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Id probably keep the Sunlight issues for pcs. Barovia itself falls to the whims of its Darklord and I dont see Strahd giving any interloper a free ride. So while he gets the full beneifts of a warm bright Barovian Afternoon, I wouldnt let a Drow or Duergar do so.

Savage: When I ran Death House, I describe the sun as weak almost.. shy. It still came up and seemed bright but just cold.. The air felt crisp like it was a very light blanket. I also made the day go very quickly so a 5 hour trip to Barovia where they thought they would arrive during the afternoon meant they arrived just after nightfall.

S

Sunseeker

Now I wonder whether there are also special rules for bringing daylight item, like a certain infamous sunblade that seems to come standard-issue with every AL paladin (oh would it be that it's only paladins).

No, the suggestion to not do it won't stop folks from just jumping into CoS with the T2 adventures after equiping themselves prior to that.

Does the Sunblade actually generate true sunlight? Or just the legendary Sunsword?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I don't have CoS yet, but this is the first thing I've heard about the module that I don't like. At all.

For all his power, all his control over the land, all the minor vampire weaknesses he didn't share, Strahd has always had to slumber during the day and had to fear being caught out in the sun without shelter nearby. For that to suddenly no longer be a concern for him feels... Cheap. It cheapens him, it cheapens his backstory, it cheapens the vampire legend.

I know it's a minor detail, and I'm sure I'll still enjoy the adventure, but... No, sir, not a fan. :(

I don't think it's as extreme as you make it out to be; Strahd's not prancing about topless trying to get a tan. Here is the relevant text:

Curse of Strahd said:
Sunlight in Barovia

By the will of the Dark Powers, the sun never fully shines in the lands of Barovia. Even during the day, the ski is dimmed by fog or storm clouds, or the light is strangely muted. Barovian daylight is bright light, yet it isn't considered sunlight for the purpose of effects and vulnerabilities, such as a vampire's, tied to sunlight.

Nevertheless, Strahd and his vampire spawn tend to stay indoors most of the day and venture out at night, and they are subject to sunlight created by magic.

I think it's like with goblins: in the Monster Manual, the "Goblin" entry says, "Like rats, goblins shun sunlight and sleep during the day." Yet, goblins don't have the Sunlight Sensitivity trait that some other subterranean humanoids have. So there's no mechanical reason for goblins to shun sunlight, but they do it anyway.

Likewise, sunlight might not damage Strahd and his lackeys, but they hate it anyway, and stay indoors.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If it doesn't hurt vampires, it doesn't hurt drow. Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me.

The two vulnerabilities are completely different. One is just that sunlight in particular hurts vampires. The other is that bright light, like sunlight affects drow. It's called sunlight sensitivity, but it's not limited to sunlight, so Barovia should affect them.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
The two vulnerabilities are completely different. One is just that sunlight in particular hurts vampires. The other is that bright light, like sunlight affects drow. It's called sunlight sensitivity, but it's not limited to sunlight, so Barovia should affect them.

Drow race: Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

Drow monster: Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the drow has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

Vampire: Sunlight Hypersensitivity. The vampire takes 20 radiant damage when it starts its turn in sunlight. While in sunlight, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.

How is it different?

Remove ads