Super Simple Armor

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
It occurs to me. The super simple armor organizes by ‘light’, ‘medium’, and ‘heavy’ armors. It makes sense to divide super simple weapons similarly.

Weapons
Light d6 finesse, light, versatile, simple, throw 30 feet
Medium d8 versatile, martial
Heavy d10 heavy, two-handed, reach, martial

Ammunitions
Light d6, light, shoot 30 feet
Medium d8, two-hand, shoot 300 feet
Heavy d10, heavy, two-hand, loading, shoot 300 feet

Alternatively, refer to armors as ‘simple armor’, ‘martial armor’, ‘great armor’.

Armors
Simple AC 11 + full Dex
Martial AC 14 + max Dex 2
Great AC 16 + no Dex
Interesting! I keep wracking my brain for good weapon terms (hand, battle, short, long, simple, martial, great, reach, etc.). This adds another angle to approach things from.

:)

Yaarel

He Mage
@mrpopstar

Personally, I am leaning toward ‘Standard’, ‘Light’ and ‘Heavy’.

For both weapons and armors.

The weapons already have the keywords ‘light’ and ‘heavy’, like armor does. These keywords describe every member of the respective group exactly. Also, referring to ‘heavy weapons’ and ‘light weapons’ sounds normal enough for categories. Even light ammo and heavy ammo.

Technically, the heavy weapons (great weapons) are martial as well. So ‘martial’ and ‘simple’ become keywords, rather than category names.

‘Standard’, because ‘medium’ sounds awkward. A longsword is standard, chain armor is standard. And so on.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
@mrpopstar

Personally, I am leaning toward ‘Standard’, ‘Light’ and ‘Heavy’.

For both weapons and armors.

The weapons already have the keywords ‘light’ and ‘heavy’, like armor does. These keywords describe every member of the respective group exactly. Also, referring to ‘heavy weapons’ and ‘light weapons’ sounds normal enough for categories. Even light ammo and heavy ammo.

Technically, the heavy weapons (great weapons) are martial as well. So ‘martial’ and ‘simple’ become keywords, rather than category names.

‘Standard’, because ‘medium’ sounds awkward. A longsword is standard, chain armor is standard. And so on.
"Ammo" makes me cringe, but standard does work!

Sanglorian

Adventurer
Since we've started talking about simplified weapons as well, people might be interested in how I approached weapons in Microlite5E (under "Weapon damage by class" and later "Attacks").

Classes had fixed damage for light, one-handed melee, two-handed melee and ranged weapons. Light weapons can be used in melee or thrown, and can use DEX or STR either way. Dual wielding light weapons does the same damage as wielding a two-handed melee weapon, but can use DEX or STR.

---

Although these days I think I would tackle it differently:

Every class has a weapon die. This is the damage that they do with a medium weapon (melee or ranged). There are also light weapons like hatchets and daggers that are melee and thrown (die size reduces by 1) and heavy weapons like greataxes and greatswords/dual wielding of light weapons (die size increases by 1).

Light: Melee or thrown (6 squares); finesse

Medium melee: Melee

Medium ranged: Shoot (60 squares)

Heavy melee OR Dual wielding: Melee; reach (two-handed weapon) OR finesse (dual wielding)

This strikes me as elegant and simple. The weapon dice would be, by class:

d10 (d8 light, d12 heavy/dual): Fighter
d8 (d6 light, d10 heavy/dual): Barbarian, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue
d6 (d4 light, d8 heavy/dual): Bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, druid

Proficiency feats would instead bump up die size by one step.

Remove ads