Super spellbooks for all!

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
My group has been playing 4e for a while now, and are now approaching the point where instead of getting new powers, we're going to be trading in lower level powers for higher level ones.

And it struck me that I don't actually want to: the powers that I have are pretty cool, and there's no direct upgrades for them.

Now, that said, I will undeniably gain in power if I do swap: not swapping is a quite suboptimal way to go.

In fact, the powers that I've selected in the first place are generally suboptimal: they all have niche uses with effects that require some setup. I'd be better off ditching them for more generically useful ones (like ones that flat-out cause more damage for instance). And that's a shame.

This issue is all derived from the fact that if I'm not using every daily I have every day, and every encounter power I have every encounter, then (assuming that dailies are more powerful than encounters, which are more powerful than at-wills) I'm playing sub-optimally.

There's a simple solution to both of these issues: limit the number of encounter and daily expenditures while allowing people to pick more powers.

In other words, the current line in the PHB that lists how many dailies and encounter powers a character gets would become a "dailies per day" and "encounter powers per encounter" line. At the point where you're supposed to trade in powers for higher level ones, you would instead simply gain those additional powers. You would still be restricted to using a particular daily once per day and a particular encounter power once per encounter to avoid spamming the same thing over and over again.

Now I'd like to take it further. Perhaps as far as having multiple powers selected at each level, but I've got a feeling that the bookkeeping might become too much or you would end up with people picking (say) two first level dailies, 2 5th level dailies, 2 9th level dailies, then using each day they'd use 2 9th level dailies and 1 5th level, which would result in a significant power increase.

If you were going to go this route, you'd probably need to record what power level dailies you'd used, and you'd only be allowed to use lower level dailies in a particular slot. So at 9th you'd get a 1st, 5th and 9th level daily slot. At higher levels you'd gain a new upper level slot, lose the bottom level slot and keep all your powers while adding 2 new high level ones in.

The same would all apply to encounter powers too.

I'm not sure how to do utilities, because they span encounter/at-will/dailes and I don't think that allowing them to be swapped between categories is going to be particularly balanced.

ZephyrTR

First Post
You're basically making 4th ed more like 3rd ed by doing this. Back then we had X amount of level 1 spells, Y amount of level 2 spells, and so on.

Just maintain a list of daily and encounter attacks you know, and allow X amount of dailies per day for the character and Y amount of encouters per encounter. The catch being you can only use each power once.

I never liked the idea of 'dropping' known powers just because i leveled up. A master fighter ought to remember his basics, as well as his advanced moves. It just seems like a rule Wizards put in place to make the resources given to each character easier to manage, but if you're smart about bookkeeping and you're not brainless, I see no reason why you can't adopt the rule i outlined above.

the Jester

Legend
I've considered letting pcs learn more than one power at each level but only letting them USE one in a given encounter/day. But, you know, added complexity is a barrier to one of my players and added decision time is something my group does NOT need from another, he already takes about 10 minutes on his turn each round.

ZephyrTR

First Post
Do what i do. If they take longer than 30 seconds to start taking actions, they forfeit their turn. Gotta keep combat moving.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I've considered letting pcs learn more than one power at each level but only letting them USE one in a given encounter/day. But, you know, added complexity is a barrier to one of my players and added decision time is something my group does NOT need from another, he already takes about 10 minutes on his turn each round.

Well, that was part of the reason that the basic suggestion is only to allow you to gain additional powers instead of power swapping: that way the complexity only shows up once you've leveled a fair bit, and the complexity added is that you get to keep a power that you already know well.

FireLance

Legend
I've always thought that there should be some simple way to create a higher-level variant of a lower-level power, for those who want to keep the lower-level power but don't want to lose out on the extra damage.

For example, single-target Weapon keyword powers could just get an increase in their [W] damage, perhaps +1[W] for an encounter power, or +2[W] for a daily. For example, a 1st-level encounter power that dealt 2[W] + modifier damage would deal 3[W] + modifier damage if it is upgraded to a 13th-level power, and 4[W] + modifier damage if it is further upgraded to a 27th-level power.

Things get more complicated with multi-target powers and powers without the Weapon keyword, of course, but I guess the DM can always tinker with them on a case-by-case basis.

ZephyrTR

First Post
There's actually suggested amounts for standard and restricted damage attacks on the DM screen. I keep my own version of the tables, cleaned up a bit so it's all based off of d6's, if you want to see. It's what I use as a general guideline when building or tweaking powers for companions or monsters:

Powers - Bri's Mod

Remove ads