• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Superhero Media: How much longer?

When will superhero media run its course?

• 1. In the next decade, superhero media will recede to being just another genre (like westerns).

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • 2. Superhero media will recede, but it will take more than a decade.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • 3. Superhero media will not recede in the foreseeable future; this is the new normal.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • 4. Smash the control images, smash the control machines.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Poll closed .

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
First, the olds wouldn't let the young people take their jobs.

Now, dead people will be keeping young people from having jobs.

Progress?

Well, dead people will also be keeping old people from having jobs, so there is at least greater equality?

Unless your job is in animation and simulation - then you get a job. Jobs don't disappear, they shift.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Ah ok. I can probably deal with that then, I must have misinterpreted what you were getting at when you invoked Irishman. But you mean more of like, Grand Moff Tarkin or young Leia from Rogue One.

Ugh. Less of that, please. At least Carrie Fisher could consent to have her likeness replicated in a new format. Peter Cushing didn't get that courtesy.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Ugh. Less of that, please. At least Carrie Fisher could consent to have her likeness replicated in a new format. Peter Cushing didn't get that courtesy.
Well yeah. He is dead. Consent in that regard is no longer really needed depending on the State in the US. And if it is covered in whatever state... I guess his likeness was created in? Who know how that bit works. Then they got the rights to use that likeness somewhere.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well yeah. He is dead. Consent in that regard is no longer really needed depending on the State in the US.

I think you are likely off here. If you are using a particular image of a person created while they were alive, rights to that will fall to the copyright holder for that work.

Control of a person's general likeness for new content probably falls to their estate/next-of-kin. You can't, say, have someone do a new picture of Elvis, and just use it to advertise your wares without consent of Elvis' estate.

Last edited:

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I think you are likely off here. If you are using a particular image of a person already created, rights of that will fall to the copyright holder for that work. Control of a person's general likeness for new content probably falls to their estate/next-of-kin.
Well yeah. I said depending on the State. Personality rights are not Federal law. Only State level.

Now, it being broadcast in nation/worldwide theaters does make me wonder. And I would hazard a guess that someone got the rights to use his likeness from someone/somewhere. Meaning he got the courtesy... albeit posthumously.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Remember back when Vampires were all the rage and we got all kinds of moviea and TV shows featuring Vampires as characters in the 1980s and 90's, then that spawned into over 'sexy supernatural' creatures including Witches, Werewolves, Angels and Monster Hunters until culminating in the sparkly vampires of Twilight and the Winchesters last spluttering breaths.

Now we get the rise of the Superhero genre, which Marvel has been able sustain by going multimedia and pandering to audience demand, DC has finally been able to pick up the baton as has Netflix and others creating their own response to the genre. Like the Vampire era I predict another 10 or so years for Superhero dominance, then a slow decline for another 20 as the genre runs itself out and another one rises to take its place. Of course we did have a Superhero blip in the 70s too, so its likely to come back again.

The big question is since we've had Vampires and Superheroes and Sci-Fi and a few attempts at Fantasy in the past few decades, what will be the next genre to dominate...

Remove ads