• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Superhero Media: How much longer?

When will superhero media run its course?

• 1. In the next decade, superhero media will recede to being just another genre (like westerns).

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • 2. Superhero media will recede, but it will take more than a decade.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • 3. Superhero media will not recede in the foreseeable future; this is the new normal.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • 4. Smash the control images, smash the control machines.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Poll closed .

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Remember back when Vampires were all the rage and we got all kinds of moviea and TV shows featuring Vampires as characters in the 1980s and 90's, then that spawned into over 'sexy supernatural' creatures including Witches, Werewolves, Angels and Monster Hunters until culminating in the sparkly vampires of Twilight and the Winchesters last spluttering breaths.

Now we get the rise of the Superhero genre, which Marvel has been able sustain by going multimedia and pandering to audience demand, DC has finally been able to pick up the baton as has Netflix and others creating their own response to the genre. Like the Vampire era I predict another 10 or so years for Superhero dominance, then a slow decline for another 20 as the genre runs itself out and another one rises to take its place. Of course we did have a Superhero blip in the 70s too, so its likely to come back again.

The big question is since we've had Vampires and Superheroes and Sci-Fi and a few attempts at Fantasy in the past few decades, what will be the next genre to dominate...

Sports. We'll get a never ending deluge of sports genre movies and series.

I know we have some of that already, but we're talking domination. Maybe even going back to animals playing sports on near professional levels!

The big reason that superhero movies are popular now in a way they weren't 25 years ago is that we've got so much better at CGI since Jurassic Park due to better computer technology. The Richard Donner Superman was excellent but the Superman Sfx were hokey. The 1989 Batman was basically a noir film with an odd coat of paint. It's only in the last fifteen years or so we've been able to see what the comic book could imply, and Marvel's the one for consistency.

I'm predicting next decade won't be as strong as the past five years for Marvel - but it will be a very big genre through the next decade.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I haven't even gotten around to watching the most recent season of Mr. Robot (one of my all-time favorite shows) ...

This season has been good, far better than I expected considering last season.

As far as the poll, the Joker's success prolly means this is the new normal. grumble

Zardnaar

Legend
I think we have hit peak superhero movie.

Unless they develop a new Avengers type group. It won't collapse short term and they're about the only thing keeping movies theatres in business atm.

I would expect a slight decline over the next 5 years, no more 2 billion+ movies.

DC might step up a bit, a great Batman movie could come close to Avenger level money.

Quantity over quality could keep them humming along in terms of overall box office.

GreyLord

Legend
Well, look at what kids are into today.

I predict an anime (or live action anime) done western style period coming up within the next generation or two (so next 10 to 30 years...yes...that's a looong stretch).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I think that Westerns are next up in the chamber.

I doubt it, not without a very different take on them than previous ones. I think there will be a few now and then, but nothing like the burst of superhero moves. Too many are far too problematic, from a racism standpoint, to skate by like they did in the earlier days of cinema.

Remove ads