Superhero rpging: Comic Book vs Original

nonefornic

First Post
Howdy all, I’m currently attempting to write some superhero universe background for a game and I’m curious what folks out there prefer in their RPG Super experience… An original creation by the game master, a popular universe seen in comic books such as Marvel or DC, or some else like say using Public Domain or open source characters?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
For me, it is more of having a working universe than it is which specific universe.
And absolutely, original characters rather than brand-name. You can have your own version of Avengers or the Green Lantern corps, but make the system/world uniquely yours. It might save you a lot of time not arguing about which interpretation of _____ you are using.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I, too, prefer using original characters.

Don't get me wrong- I love the stuff in the comics, and I often use them for inspiration- but I prefer to exercise my own creativity. It's why I never bought any of the licensed DC or Marvel RPG games or supplements...though I did buy one for The Justice Machine.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As a player, I much prefer using my own, original character.

However, I'm just as happy to set that character in a new universe created by the GM, or an established one.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I prefer to play original characters, but can enjoy that character being in a published universe like DC, with occasional glimpses of NPCs from the comics.

Yeah, original characters. No one wants to be overshadowed by canon. To me that means an original universe. The Marvel Universe is just incomplete without the adventures of Mime-Man and BananaSlugboy.

Though I might be willing to game in the universe of the League of Superredundant Superheroes.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I've always preferred to play original characters. For setting I'm OK with using an existing setting. But if the game does use the Marvel or DC (or whoever) universe, I want to be able to go my own way. Same when running: I've run supers games in Champions Universe and in Marvel Universe but I always let things go the way the PCs make them go.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases