• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suppose D&D was outlawed tomorrow...

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Re: Re: Suppose D&D was outlawed tomorrow...

Col_Pladoh said:

If the Federal Government became that despotic, the only thing to do would be to take up arms against it and overthrow it. Jefferson envisaged the likelihood of such need back when the nation was new...

Geez. You people with no faith in the ACLU ;)

Seriously, this example is almost too bizarre to approach rationally. What justification would they use for this? Where would the Supreme Court stand on it? How is society in general responding to it?

If the Supreme Court doesn't immediately strike it down, and people in general don't immediately begin howling (dorks though we are, most media have a strong interest in the 1st amendment and would defend us), and if they don't offer some amazing justification for this edict, then I'd start looking around for Rod Serling. It just wouldn't hold together.

In any case, this would be a no-brainer for the ACLU. Like 'em or hate 'em, they'd go to bat for any group whose publications were banned.

Daniel

Voneth

First Post
A long time ago, I wrote such a story with a psedoROTC cadet was a player by night and a member of a minority right militant order by day.

It was a world where the religious right took over.

I never did finish the story, though I did get through the "pulled the PHB from under the floorboards scene."

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Originally posted by Col_Plahdoh

If the Federal Government became that despotic, the only thing to do would be to take up arms against it and overthrow it. Jefferson envisaged the likelihood of such need back when the nation was new...

Only if the necessary lawsuits did not work. I do agree with Pielorinho's post on the ACLU. Even though they sometimes defend the rights of people I don't like, they would be filing a lawsuit immediately. Plus I know a few lawyers.

However, in the case of a government determined to violate the Constitution and establish a tyranny, I would defend the rights enshrined in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights with my fortune, my sacred honor, and my life's blood.

Fortunately, the American people are pretty vigilant. Kennedy's quote: "Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom" applies to foreign and domestic enemies.

Orco42

First Post
I'd barricade myself in my house with my books, friends, lots of chips and soda and lots of weapons.

LET 'UM COME AND GET US!

T. Underbridge

First Post
Since poll after poll has demonstrated that over 90% of D&D players have a Chaotic Good alignment I'd say an underground movement made up of dual-wielding woodsman would rise up to overthrow the government.

Not me though. I'm Lawful Neutral.

Lothaire

First Post
Well first there would be the lawsuits and the protests and the referendums.

If those didn't work I would then start up a group of elite paramilitary operatives devoted to changing goverment policy by abducting and reprogramming goverment officals.

Henry@home

First Post
Re: Re: Suppose D&D was outlawed tomorrow...

Col_Pladoh said:

Gary

Gary, you've got a second in this gamer's militia, if you need it. :)I'm a little Jeffersonian in my belief in this, myself.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Wormwood said:
...From My Cold Dead Hands.

DAMN straight, brother!

Preach on....

I would continue playing. Nothing short of actual arrest and incarceration would prevent me. If it came to that I would be on the first plane to the UK. Actually I would be on the first boat - planes don't let you have enough luggage for me to bring all my gaming stuff :D

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I'd play even under threat of Death. NO ONE takes away my right to enjoy my freetime, ESPECIALLY when it involves the Scarred Lands. Fanatic? Sure, but then so are the guys out to get my gaming material to keep it away from me. :D

Remove ads