D&D 5E Sure is quiet on the 5e front

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
any info on anything new? It's been a while.
lol, call this quiet?

As for new info, I think this is about the size of it (note that much of this might not make it into the next packet):

• New math (thank Tiamat!).
  • Revision to warrior classes. They will share the same base progression, but each have a unique thing on top of that. So the Barbarian's rage abilities, the Monk's ki techniques, and the Fighter's combat maneuvers are all balanced against each other.
    • Weapon-using classes will advance in damage without this "martial damage dice" nonsense; you won't have to spend damage dice to use maneuvers.
    • Expertise dice are now a Fighter-only thing again.
  • Exploration rules useful for dungeon and wilderness exploration. Not much details, but sounds very old-school - except when he mentions the DM drawing the map for the players! D:
  • Hope for next packet: Druid, Paladin, Ranger, multiclassing, half-orc, half-elf, gnome
  • Two-weapon fighting easier to get into (like choosing between a two-hander and sword-and-board
  • On January 30, they said it would be a "couple of months" or "looking at two months" before the next "biggie" packet, but there will probably be more little ones in between.

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
I'm assuming we'll get the next packet after they have time to get some "offline" feedback from PAXEast. They might not even put it out until they have time to sort through it all and maybe incorporate it. It's important to remember that all of us who post on ENW/etc. and hang on every word out of WotC about 5E are only a subset of all players.

As an aside, I would be very interested to see a discussion or comparison of feedback from conventions/etc versus online tests. I think it would be interesting.

Regarding the lack of updates, I want WotC taking as long as possible with this. I'd rather they get it right than rush it out the door. Sure, their communication sucks (for example: L&L gets a front page article, but the Q&A is a blog). Still, as far as I'm concerned more development and iteration and testing is a good thing.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I'm assuming we'll get the next packet after they have time to get some "offline" feedback from PAXEast. They might not even put it out until they have time to sort through it all and maybe incorporate it.

If history is any indication, they'll probably put out a mini-update with some new character options for play at the con, and release it online afterwards. We already know that the Mines of Madness adventure is going to be at PAX.

Heck, maybe it'll be the biggie.

Last edited:

Remove ads