• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Survey Launch | Player's Handbook Playtest 5 | Unearthed Arcana | D&D

Vaalingrade

Legend
X and Y would be variable depending on how a good a flier it would be. Right there in the stat block.

And player-centered flight would absolutely not add hover because I believe in the players' ability to count to two or three. Or maybe I'd have them move twice and take the highest.

X and Y would be variable depending on how a good a flier it would be. Right there in the stat block.

And player-centered flight would absolutely not add hover because I believe in the players' ability to count to two or three. Or maybe I'd have them move twice and take the highest.
So... not 7 seconds. Every source of flying in the game needs to be redesigned, including exceptions for things like beholders or magical flight that has nothing to do with wings or momentum. Gotcha!

Adding a single line and beholders getting hover. Oh no.
Changing a single rules object that other rules point to like "Exhaustion now means this", can be a quick fix, but something like that doesn't otherwise require changing stat blocks or very many other rules objects.

The moment that the change requires changes in hundreds of stat blocks and spells and magic items, that is not simple. Every design has to be reviewed on a case by case basis. What are the exceptions for Air Elemental folk? Gas Spores, Grell, and Flumphs? Space Whales? Every ability and creature that already says they have Hover?

Vaalingrade

Legend
They're rewriting the entire MM anyway.

They could just do a slightly better job.

Also, for hovering creatures, no change is needed, so I have no idea why that's so integral to the argument.

I don't have much of a dog in this fight, but I feel like an easier fix would be to have basically two "modes" for flying: Hovering and Soaring.
  • Hovering: You are using most of your downforce to traverse more accurately around. You can move up to half your speed in the air, or you can stay in place. You can dash if you like, which will also be at half-speed.
  • Soaring: You are moving fast, but less able to maneuver and cannot stay in place. You must move up to your full speed and can dash if you like. However you must travel your full speed, and you may only make one 90 degree/sideways turn per move action. You must move at least one space before turning.
  • To switch between these two "modes", you must expend an action. This can be done before or after you move.
You can now do some interesting things. I don't have a hard and fast rule to rein in or define gaining altitude (largely for soaring, I think hovering kind of deals with itself), but I think it's probably doable. But with this, you avoid most hassle of lots of rules because being in different modes focuses you on a few hard limits: Hovering is slow but allows for exact movement, Soaring is fast but lacks maneuverability.

EDIT: Hoo boy, made a bunch of very fast clarity edits. Hopefully got everything I wanted in there.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Man almost had a heart attack. I'm literally on the last question and the page errors out, I thought I lost my entire survey! Fortunately with a refresh it still had all my answers thank god.

Happened to me twice. The first time the page auto-refreshed for some forsaken reason. I was terrified of losing everything.

Second time I accidentally closed it because it took forever, and I was moving between tabs.

Chaosmancer

Legend
'You must move X per turn or fall'

'You must move Y squares before changing direction.'

There, I designed better fly rules. It took a-like seven seconds.

Does falling count as moving squares? Do these rules apply to swimming as well? Does body shape or method of movement matter, or do insect wings and bird wings react the same as psychic flight?

The second you start adding these sorts of limitations and rules for "realism" or "verisimilitude" you invite people to begin questioning and looking for exceptions. But, if all the rules are the same... then there are no exceptions. No, being a snake with wings doesn't mean you move differently in the water than you did in the air, because all movement is the same. No muss, no fuss, no need to start looking for exceptions.

Remove ads