D&D 5E Survivor 5e Adventure Books - Yawning Portal lives to tell it's Tale!

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Ghosts of Saltmarsh 1
Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden 17

Tales from the Yawning Portal 14

Forget it, Jack. It’s Saltmarsh.

GlassJaw

Hero
Ghosts of Saltmarsh 2-0 = 0
Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden 15
Tales from the Yawning Portal 14+1 = 15

None of these are better than CoS but whatever. I love the Saltmarsh setting but a few of the adventures in the book aren't that great so I view it was as a flawed product. TfYP has enough hits and great adventures for new players that it's a win.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Ghosts of Saltmarsh 2-0 = 0
Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden 15
Tales from the Yawning Portal 14+1 = 15

None of these are better than CoS but whatever. I love the Saltmarsh setting but a few of the adventures in the book aren't that great so I view it was as a flawed product. TfYP has enough hits and great adventures for new players that it's a win.

Yeah, I find this an odd final 2.

With Yawning Portal, I get it because for some folks their favorite 5E adventures are 1E adventures from 45 years ago. For me, those are uplayably dull, but I did have a lot of fun during lockdown last year running Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury for my friends online.

I downvoted Saltmarsh first over Yawning Portal because Yawning Portal does have VTT-suitable maps, and because U2 and U3 are actually worse than anything in Yawning Portal, even though the best adventures in Saltmarsh are better than anything in Yawning Portal.

In terms of the actual campaign adventures, I think there are very few people in this thread who really think Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden is the best one or even their favorite. I think it's a campaign with a lot of good ideas, excellent set-pieces, lots of fun characters and locations, as well as gaping plot holes and incoherent overarching design. I think weirdly it made it this far not because it's a lot of people's favorite, but because it's "good" and not polarizing. Also, it's getting an artificial bump just for being a recent release.

I can't judge Candlekeep because I haven't read it yet, and BG: DiA because I'm in it currently as a player and we're only at level 4. Also have never read or played PoA or RoT. But Strahd is easily my favorite of the rest, and the underrated Tomb of Annihilation is #2.

Even the worst book on the list has at least some good stuff.

Remove ads