D&D General Survivor 5E Dragons - Gold Dragon Proves its worth!

Zio_the_dark

The dark one :)
Black Dragon 8
Gold Dragon 6
Green Dragon 6
Silver Dragon 6

That's why last time I proposed to let at least 12h between each vote to avoid the double vote 23h59/0h01 that often comes up when the list is down to 4 or less contenders...

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Black Dragon 6
Gold Dragon 7+1=8
Green Dragon 3-2=1

Silver Dragon 6

We have a remaining sum of 21, so since each post reduces things by 1, we have an absolute maximum of 19 posts remaining (and that could only occur if it comes down to the absolute wire, with the last person eliminating either a dragon with just 1 vote left, or just 2 votes left, since it's not possible to get two both at 1). Assuming every + vote went to the current leader (Gold), which is extremely unlikely but the most efficient path to ending the sequence, it would require 7 posts bare minimum to end it. By comparison, for Green to win, you'd need 4+3+3 = 10. The 19 number comes from avoiding killing anything off, and/or intentionally "wasting" reduction votes by downvoting something with only 1 vote left.

So yeah, it's pretty likely that it ends today. Unless far fewer people vote. It is very interesting how swingy and surprisingly close this race has been. Making it to even the top 3 will be a pretty significant achievement!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That's why last time I proposed to let at least 12h between each vote to avoid the double vote 23h59/0h01 that often comes up when the list is down to 4 or less contenders...
Shrug

For people who can stay up until midnight, it allows a snipe attack if things align (like they did for me, this time). 12 hours wouldn't matter really, since I could have voted earlier in the day and then voted at 12:01 before going to bed.

But people shouldn't vote twice in one day... at least wait until the clock changes!

Anyway, since I can't vote until after midnight tonight and this will be over before then, I am happy (oddly proud LOL) to say I got 6 kills in this survivor thread:
  1. Wyvern
  2. Brass Dragon
  3. Copper Dragon
  4. Bronze Dragon
  5. Red Dragon
  6. Blue Dragon
:)

It will be interesting to see who wins it... :unsure:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
For people who can stay up until midnight, it allows a snipe attack if things align (like they did for me, this time). 12 hours wouldn't matter really, since I could have voted earlier in the day and then voted at 12:01 before going to bed.
It's also worth noting that you can only pull off this trick every ~48 hours, so you are getting the benefit of "double barrel" as it were, in exchange for checking out from the thread for two whole days. You can't try to get a last-minute rescue for something you're holding out for. I'd call that the inherent balance of the rule: the more you concentrate your votes, the less freedom you have. It's certainly useful to be able to spike down something you don't want. But that's, if you'll pardon the game-balance comparison, "trading flexibility for power."

And even when people do do it, they can't add more than a single vote-down of protection to their preferred option. The most they could do is, if they're lucky, vote for two even-numbered options....but that requires that there be two options they want to vote up, that are both even to begin with, which is effectively pure chance (and the more people who DO get it, the fewer people who can benefit from it, since down votes can't turn evens into odds or vice-versa.)

Sometimes I want to try sort of the inverse of "survivor" threads: a "grand prix" thread, as it were, where every contestant starts with (say) 10 points and needs to reach 100. You can give out +2 or -1, first to 100 wins, can't reduce things below 0 (but you must reduce something each round). Long as there's sufficient contestants (5, I believe?) the race is guaranteed to result in a winner. More importantly, though, you end up with a net ranking of all the contestants, since no one is ever eliminated. You could even specifically go for "first/second/third place" type stuff. Gives a very different feel compared to a "survivor," where it's a lot more cutthroat. It also removes the incentive to "spike," since you can't eliminate anything in one swell foop. (Though this is a situation where some kind of vote cooldown--even just a few hours--could be worthwhile.)

OB1

Jedi Master
Black Dragon 7
Gold Dragon 8-2=6
Silver Dragon 6+1=7

None of the remaining have ever been in a memorable encounter for me, so I'll just even them out a bit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases