• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Survivor Appendix N Authors- LEIBER WINS!

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 16
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 16
Merritt, A. 12
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 10
St. Clair, Margaret 9
Tolkien, J.R.R. 12
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 17

Nagol

Unimportant
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 16
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 16
Merritt, A. 12
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 10
St. Clair, Margaret 9-2=7
Tolkien, J.R.R. 12
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 17+1=18

Grognerd

Explorer
Also, to elaborate, I am alternating upvotes on Leiber and Zelazny. To explain-

I had three foundational fantasy authors.

1. Leiber - we had a bunch of his old paperbacks for some reason in our house growing up, and I started reading him in grade school. I will always love Lankhmar. He kicked off my love of S&S, and I sought out all of his books over the years. I have run multiple campaigns in Nehwon.

2. Zelazny - I have stolen so many ideas from him over the years for campaigns. Amber? Lord of Light? This Immortal? Creatures of Light and Darkness? The Mask of Loki? THE MASK OF LOWKEY?

3. Stephen R. Donaldson - The Land (Covenant) might be one of the best series ... just a little hard to recommend given the subject matter, and, especially, how the first book starts out - which was controversial at the time, and hasn't aged well at all. He's not on the list, though.

Anyway, yeah, Zelazny is awesome.

That's a good foundation. (Well, except for Zelazny! :p) I definitely think Lieber needs the recognition. Everyone is quick to point to the heavy Tolkien influences in D&D's content, but it seems like many people don't seem to recognize how heavily Lieber influenced D&D's style.

rczarnec

Explorer
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 17
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 16
Merritt, A. 12
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 8
St. Clair, Margaret 7
Tolkien, J.R.R. 12
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 18

OB1

Jedi Master
Burroughs, Edgar Rice 17
Carter, Lin 12
Dunsany, Lord 15
Leiber, Fritz 16
Merritt, A. 12
Offutt, Andrew J. 14
Pratt, Fletcher 8
St. Clair, Margaret 8
Tolkien, J.R.R. 10
Wellman, Manley Wade 14
Williamson, Jack 14
Zelazny, Roger 18

Got inspired to find and read a St. Clair book yesterday and am about half way through Signs of the Labrys. I definitely picked the right author to back as I find her weird sci-fantasy bent to be right up my alley, even if the prose itself isn't that great. Having recently DM'd Out of the Abyss I also keep seeing influences on the Underdark and Zuggtomy. But what I'm really wondering is if a young Stephen King once read this post-apocalyptic book and if that had an influence on The Stand. Something about the way the fungus kills in Labrys reminds me of the superflu in that book.

Remove ads